50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-2014
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I-751 How long is the processing?

Hi Everyone,
    Does anyone know how long USCIS takes to process I-751 form from when it's filed? I know Immigration law states it needs to be filed within 90 days before the 2 year GC expires. Do they usually process it within those 90 days? What happens if they don't - would i be out of status for some time?

The process begins when you file it and they accept it. How long it takes can depend on what Service Center you are using. Some are faster than others. Check here to see how long your SC says they take. Bear in mind these are only guidelines and real-time frames vary a LOT! You can probably expect 6-12 months especially if called for an interview.

You will be sent an NOA I-797 (letter) which will extend your status for 1 year. You can use this to re-enter the country or to prove your legal status to an employer etc.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Brit - thanks for the answer!

I wonder if they would call us for interview - We have been married almost 4 years (I got my temporary GC - 1 month before 2nd wedding aniversary due to long FBI Name Check), we have child together, live together and all is cool. Any thoughts anyone ???

(I got my temporary GC - 1 month before 2nd wedding aniversary due to long FBI Name Check)
    Too bad it wasn't issued after your 2nd wedding anniversary. You would have been given the 10-year card, thus avoiding having to remove conditions. Good luck to you!!!

I wonder if they would call us for interview - We have been married almost 4 years (I got my temporary GC - 1 month before 2nd wedding aniversary due to long FBI Name Check), we have child together, live together and all is cool. Any thoughts anyone ???
    The rumor is they have to interview about 10% of all cases at random. So it's possible you might have an interview but not that likely unless there are "red flags" in your application. Waiver cases are almost always interviewed.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Thanks Brit...
    With my luck I probably will get interviewed.. but it's ok... ONE MORE QUESTION: How long does it take to apply for citizenship? I've heard that in my case (married to USC) i can apply after 3 years of having GC. But the question is does the 2 year of my temporary GC count as well? If yes this would mean that after getting my 10 year one - i only wait 1 year and i can apply. Is this correct?

But the question is does the 2 year of my temporary GC count as well?
    You can apply for citizenship after 2 years, 9 months married to USC and the years you were under conditions do count. Make sure you get those conditions removed first, though.

Let me please clarify the clock starts ticking from the date the conditional green card was issued, not the date of marriage.

Originally posted by ProudUSC:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But the question is does the 2 year of my temporary GC count as well?
    You can apply for citizenship after 2 years, 9 months married to USC and the years you were under conditions do count. Make sure you get those conditions removed first, though.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YOu can apply 2 yrs and 9 months from the date on your conditional greencard. Your conditions DO NOT have to be removed to APPly! Once your timeframe is available, file that n400 to start that clock ticking.

You can file for citizenship even if the Removal of Conditions is still pending (it can take up to one year). I've seen cases where they adjudicate the citizenship and removal in the same interview when the removal has taken too long.