free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immigrant's Weekly News Links 10/22/07

Here I am again, imploring for just one look at this article "Ain't That America" that some may call liberal. I prefer to call it realistic.

"Americans are a practical and generous people, with a tolerant streak a mile wide."

This was the AMERICAN I vividly remember during my idyllic girlhood in the sprawling Clark Air Base in the Philippines back in late 70's (until it was shut down in the early 90's).

"But there is a combustible strain of nativism in this country, and it takes only a handful of match tossers to ignite it.

The new demagogues are united in their zeal to uproot the illegal population. They do not discriminate between criminals and the much larger group of ambitious strivers. They champion misguided policies, like a mythically airtight border fence and a reckless campaign of home invasions. And they summon the worst of America's past by treating a hidden group of vulnerable people as an enemy to be hated and vanquished, not as part of a problem to be managed."

And this is the AMERICAN that I came to know now that I live and work in OUR mainland. His sweet charm has turned acidic, and his winsome smile, mechanical, if calculating. My brown skin that used to be a co-equal, now has to be justified as to what I've got beneath the crust, otherwise... The good old days, the good old days...

Rough Neighbor - your sentiments are understood; however, we're not all like that. There are still those of us who appreciate diversity and the value it brings to this country. Where would this country be without immigrants? We're all immigrants! I think each and everyone of us who are tired of the negativism geared towards immigration should take a positive stance and write our politicians. They need to hear our voice.

ProudUSC: that's a figurative expression, my friend, and you know it...

Rough Neighbor - I'm on your side, you know? Just wanted you to know that not all of us have negative feelings towards immigrants, okay?

ProudUSC: I know fully well what you say, and I know that you know that I know it. I just tend to be surrealistic when I express something sometimes. Many of us do. Just like when one poster says that he talked to 50 lawyers, he says so not literally but so as to drive home a point. It's something that's there, yet not to that degree. But it's there nonetheless. I apologize that I did so myself. But, hey, thank you for your kind words. We need lots and lots of them out there, beyond this public forum.

I heard that Hitler claimed to have gotten his inspiration for the "final solution" from the extermination of Native Americans in the U.S, Now! When it comes to Immigration I think something "Comprehensive" needs to be done about illegal migrants to the U.S as well as migrants already in the U.S... Also, what Theodore Roosevelt said about immigrants in 1907 still fits the bill to me except the illegal border crossing problem happening today.

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." --- Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." --Albert Einstein

I did read the article and cannot agree more with the wisdom of a rational approach to immigration. I also remember the eighties and the INS and Immigration Court then. The laws were applied evenly and benignly without today's vindictiveness and malevolence or, at least, frigid indifference.
    Much has changed and not for the better. Especially frightening is this disease of small minds that there always must be some group that deserves hatred. Be it Irish, Jews, people of color, or Catholics - there is always something (in the immortal words of Roseanne Rosanna-Dana).

I don't think that hydra will ever be killed but still there is hope with people like you, Rough Neighbor and you ProudUSC.

Let's keep on fighting.

Excellent article! Thanks for bringing it to light Rough Neighbor
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." --Albert Einstein