50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Restamping of visa resulting from a lost passport

I lost my Indian passport (contained an H1-B visa) along with my I-94 sometime back. I applied and got a new Indian passport. I notified the USCIS and applied for my replacement I-94. I estimate it will take another couple months or so to get it.

On my I-94, the date for the end of my stay in the US is November 2008. I am aware that I can get my visa stamped when I leave the country next. However, I do not intend to travel before December of 2008. I will apply for an extension and will probably get it for Novemeber 2008 through November 2011.

Questions:
    1. Do I have to get my current visa stamped before November 2008 or can I wait to get my extension and then go to India/Canada and get it stamped?
    2. Inorder to get an extension, do I need to have a visa or will an I-94 suffice?

Any help will be appreciated..

I lost my Indian passport (contained an H1-B visa) along with my I-94 sometime back. I applied and got a new Indian passport. I notified the USCIS and applied for my replacement I-94. I estimate it will take another couple months or so to get it.

On my I-94, the date for the end of my stay in the US is November 2008. I am aware that I can get my visa stamped when I leave the country next. However, I do not intend to travel before December of 2008. I will apply for an extension and will probably get it for Novemeber 2008 through November 2011.

Questions:
    1. Do I have to get my current visa stamped before November 2008 or can I wait to get my extension and then go to India/Canada and get it stamped?
    2. Inorder to get an extension, do I need to have a visa or will an I-94 suffice?

Any help will be appreciated..

Hello,

H1-B visa from a US consulate here in Europe is valid for 10 years but you are required to leave the US after 6 months.So I don't understand how you can stay for a year or longer without leaving?You automatically overstayed your legal time.
    To extend your stay you need your current,valid and not expired I-94.Got more question,please ask.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">not </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    My H1 visa along with my I-94 expires on November 2008. Since I lost my passport and I-94 a month ago, I've applied for a replacement I-94. I cannot apply for a visa unless I leave the country. This means that I'll be issued a similar I-94 as the one I lost which will be valid till November 2008.

Before my I-94 expires I'm going to apply for an extension for my H1.

Perhaps you misunderstood my questions. I'll be happy to explain my situation in depth.

Thanks for your reply Lanzen. I appreciate it.

Have you found your answers to your questions yet, or do you still need help Igkumar?

Personally I would suggest to get an infopass and go and see USCIS personally, to see what else you need to obtain.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.