50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Marriage versus employment

I have been scanning the boards for most of the day and have found it a good source of information. I decided to post my question with some reluctance out of fear of getting flamed back to the stone ages.

That being said, I will post my question as clearly as I can and hope that someone in the overwhelming majority of users on this site consisting of intelligent and well meaning people can help.

I am a canadian citizen visiting the US. (To the best of my knowledge my visitor visa is valid for 1 year and has not as of yet expired.) I am not currently legal to work in the US and I am not presently doing so. I came to the US to spend time with my fiance, we were engaged prior to my visit. Now that I am here I would like to know what my legal options are. Based on what I've read, the most expedient route would be to get married and file the appropriate paperwork. While my fiance and I have no qualms about getting married, we are keen to hold off on the marriage until we can afford to have the kind of wedding we would like to have. We could of course get married any time then have a 'wedding' for the sake of family and friends later but we feel a little strange about that.

With that background information my questions are as follows:

1) Is there a way for me to work? (again, legally. I don't want to step on anyone's toes.) I do have one employer who is willing to sponsor hire me and and provide any required documentation required for sponsorship. It is a menial type job but on I would be glad to have if I could get it legally. There are no special skills required. (I include that simply because I know that there are different rules for 'exceptional skills', etc.)
    1a) Can a willing employer be of assistance in this or is it an excercise in futility?
    1b) If it is a possibility what does the employer / employee need to do to get the process started.
    1c) Given that the stars have aligned and there is a possbility that is possible, what is the ballpark guess at when I could begin to legally work? Can I begin once the application process has begun? Do I need to wait for a specific reply or status change?

2) The same questions but applied to marriage.
    2a) What is the process?
    2b) how long does it take?
    2c) how long after applying (approximately) will I have to wait before I can work.

My appologies for the long post. My research into Immigration information tends to lead me in circles with a great deal of contradictory information.

I would simply like to add that I am a hard working professional, keen to work (legally) in the US. My father is a non resident US citizen and although he cannot sponsor me, through him I have great respect for the US, it's ways and it's laws.

Any help that anyone can provide in putting me on the right path or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I have been scanning the boards for most of the day and have found it a good source of information. I decided to post my question with some reluctance out of fear of getting flamed back to the stone ages.

That being said, I will post my question as clearly as I can and hope that someone in the overwhelming majority of users on this site consisting of intelligent and well meaning people can help.

I am a canadian citizen visiting the US. (To the best of my knowledge my visitor visa is valid for 1 year and has not as of yet expired.) I am not currently legal to work in the US and I am not presently doing so. I came to the US to spend time with my fiance, we were engaged prior to my visit. Now that I am here I would like to know what my legal options are. Based on what I've read, the most expedient route would be to get married and file the appropriate paperwork. While my fiance and I have no qualms about getting married, we are keen to hold off on the marriage until we can afford to have the kind of wedding we would like to have. We could of course get married any time then have a 'wedding' for the sake of family and friends later but we feel a little strange about that.

With that background information my questions are as follows:

1) Is there a way for me to work? (again, legally. I don't want to step on anyone's toes.) I do have one employer who is willing to sponsor hire me and and provide any required documentation required for sponsorship. It is a menial type job but on I would be glad to have if I could get it legally. There are no special skills required. (I include that simply because I know that there are different rules for 'exceptional skills', etc.)
    1a) Can a willing employer be of assistance in this or is it an excercise in futility?
    1b) If it is a possibility what does the employer / employee need to do to get the process started.
    1c) Given that the stars have aligned and there is a possbility that is possible, what is the ballpark guess at when I could begin to legally work? Can I begin once the application process has begun? Do I need to wait for a specific reply or status change?

2) The same questions but applied to marriage.
    2a) What is the process?
    2b) how long does it take?
    2c) how long after applying (approximately) will I have to wait before I can work.

My appologies for the long post. My research into Immigration information tends to lead me in circles with a great deal of contradictory information.

I would simply like to add that I am a hard working professional, keen to work (legally) in the US. My father is a non resident US citizen and although he cannot sponsor me, through him I have great respect for the US, it's ways and it's laws.

Any help that anyone can provide in putting me on the right path or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Based on what your work category is, the wait is in the years for employment based green card. The best and fastest way is to get married. The process works like this:

1) Get Married
    2) Apply for I130, I485, I765
    3) The I765 is your work permits, which the USCIS have to give you within 90days, so that usually comes first.
    4) Then you will have an interview with your wife to get the I130 approved, and that will approve you I485, which will get you a green card.

So basically once your apply based on marriage, you will get a work permit in 90 days, and the have an interview to get a green card. It is the fastest way to get work permit and green card.

Get advice from a lawyer before you take any steps.