free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volunteered to send addtl docs after interview

I had my interview for naturalization on 8/10/07, and I "passed". I was told by the officer that I would get a notice for the oath ceremony in 4 weeks. During the interview, when asked about any citations, I mentioned that I had one for spedding in 12/06 (after submitting my application). After the interview, I remembered that I forgot to mention another one, for "open container in the vehicle", that was dismissed. The speeding one actually happened in 12/05, and this one happened in 12/06. I was concerned, because I know they can even take away the citizenship if they think one lied during the interview. A few days after the interview I sent the officer a letter explaining the confusion, discosed both with the precise dates, appologized for my failure to disclose all information accuratelym and attached certified police records for both. I have been a PR for 19 years, and these are the only two citations I ever had. It has been 6 weeks since I interviewed and haven't received a notice yet. Do you think that will be a problem? What should I expect? Thanks much for any information or clarification.

I had my interview for naturalization on 8/10/07, and I "passed". I was told by the officer that I would get a notice for the oath ceremony in 4 weeks. During the interview, when asked about any citations, I mentioned that I had one for spedding in 12/06 (after submitting my application). After the interview, I remembered that I forgot to mention another one, for "open container in the vehicle", that was dismissed. The speeding one actually happened in 12/05, and this one happened in 12/06. I was concerned, because I know they can even take away the citizenship if they think one lied during the interview. A few days after the interview I sent the officer a letter explaining the confusion, discosed both with the precise dates, appologized for my failure to disclose all information accuratelym and attached certified police records for both. I have been a PR for 19 years, and these are the only two citations I ever had. It has been 6 weeks since I interviewed and haven't received a notice yet. Do you think that will be a problem? What should I expect? Thanks much for any information or clarification.

Your fate rests with the adjudicating officer's exercise of discretion, where nobody can predict what the exact outcome will be. But one thing is sure, your belated revelation of the information shall "delay" the whole process. If I were you, I would check on the status of the case via infopass after 60 days of their receipt of the letter. And if in case this current application is denied, I would reapply after five years while maintaining an "immaculate" lifestyle. Anyway, you have been a PR for 19 years. So five years more won't hurt.

Thanks for your comments, Rough Neighbor. Do you know whay this would delay the process? In any case, I hope I won't be punished by being honest...

Rt3060, Everything is up to the Adjudication Officer, if he has any incling that you lied once, then he will really take his time in determining your eligibility for Naturalization and this can take a very long time. I have heard of cases where people waited for seven years and more because of not telling the truth. Good Moral Character. You stated that the Officer told you would get a letter in 4 weeks for the oath ceremony, did you get that in writing and what exactly did it say on the form that was given to you? Good Luck and keep us updated...Speedy@

Rifkin & Fox-Isicoff, P.A. Miami, FL

The critical factor, my friend, is timing. And timing is of a very critical essence in immigration processing. You may look at it as honesty on your part, but the officer may look at it as an attempt to withhold facts with material bearing on your application. You see, so many questions were there on the Form N-400 to fill these violations in, but you didn't. I hope I'm mistaken about the delay that this may cause.

Hello Speedy. Thanks much for your note. Well, I did not lie, I just forgot to mention one citation, and took the initiative to add that information in a letter a few days after the interview to ensure completeness and accuracy of my records. But of course, the officer may interpret this differently... After the interview, the officer gave me the N-652, where she checked the box recommending my application for approval. Then she said that I would get a letter for the oath ceremony in 4 weeks. but again, that was before I send the letter and documentation disclosing what I forgot to mention during the interview.

Rough Neighbor, these violations (or citations)occurred after I submitted the N-400, otherwise I would have filled them in. I did not withheld any information. Unfortunately, I forgot to disclose one of them during the interview. But I understand your comments, and appreciate it. I just hope the officer sees it as an honest mistake. Thanks again.

Yeah, it's after you submitted your N-400, I missed that in your original post. But thanks for understanding what I meant. Best of luck, my friend.