free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: name change

When is the best time to change my name? I am married to a USC but because of the recent laws if I go to try get a new DL with my new name the will give me a drivng certificate which is not valid for ID and if I go to social security they will ask for my legal status which is still pending because I just started the process.I am really confused.I want to use my new name asap but not sure how to go about it.Help me

When is the best time to change my name? I am married to a USC but because of the recent laws if I go to try get a new DL with my new name the will give me a drivng certificate which is not valid for ID and if I go to social security they will ask for my legal status which is still pending because I just started the process.I am really confused.I want to use my new name asap but not sure how to go about it.Help me
    AOS from F1 "overstay" to
    Sept.2004 Got hitched
    10/03/06 AOS packet mailed
    10.09.06 recieved
    10.16.06 Recieved NOAs
    10.18.06 all Touched
    10.19.06 I 765 Touched and Medical mailed
    10.24.06 recieved biometrics letter
    10.26.06 I 130 touched

Changing your name is not something you must do to adjust status, it's not relevant. USCIS does not care about names but they do care about the reasons why you got married in the first place. There's many reasons as to why people prefer to keep or use any given name, USCIS will not interfere with those. There's a rule of thumb that comes out of court opinions and it states that "aliens are not required to have a different, more "valid" type of marriage".
    If you do have a valid, real relationship then the name you use is simply irrelevant. If you have a make-believe relationship then you're committing fraud, even if you change your name. That's what you should be worried about at this point.
    This is NOT legal advice.

Cheezy, did you file your papers for AOS in married or maiden name?
    Did you also file for EAD?
    What was your status before?

(aneri)My status b4 was F1 overstay and I filed my AOS papers with my maiden name.Yes I also filed for EAD. (HOUSTON )My marriage is very real we have been married for almost 2yrs now and looking foward to more yrs to come God willing.Im just trying to get ready for the interview so Im fishing for all the info I can find to keep us informed.
    Sept.2004 Got hitched
    10.09.06 recieved
    10.16.06 Recieved NOAs
    10.18.06 all Touched
    10.26.06 I 130 touched

The best time to change your name was before you applied for AOS (filing them out in new name).

Well, since you filed for AOS in maiden name, it is the best to leave those papers in that name for now.

At the interview you can ask if they would make a change or how to change it after you receive GC. After GC, you should be able to get other documents in your married name.

If that's too long a wait, go to SSA office with EAD in maiden name and marriage certificate. You'll receive SSN in new name, and then DL. But you'll have to keep fingers crossed that your GC will, at the end, be in married name as well.

Imoportant: - make sure that you'll be able to change the name on all documents at the end (SSN, DL, GC).

I was in the similar "mess". After receiving GC in maiden name, I asked USCIS what should I do to change that. I was told I needed court order (maybe something changed since then). At the end, I kept everything in maiden name.

I kept my GC in my maiden name for years. /when I requested a name change on my GC - I just submitted my marraige certificate and 3 weeks later my new card arrived.

The same with my other documents.

Not very stressful or problematic.

Thanks Dragonlady and everyone
    Sept.2004 Got hitched
    10.09.06 recieved
    10.16.06 Recieved NOAs
    10.18.06 all Touched
    10.26.06 I 130 touched

Dragonlady,

how do you request a name change on your GC?
    Do you have to file I-90?
    Thank you

Went to District office, they asked for my Marriage certficate. The officer keyed in information on the computer and voila! It was done.