free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Still waiting for a Social Security number

Hi,

My wife who is a non US citizen took her Biometrics more than 4 months ago and we still have not received a Social Security number/Card. I went to the SS office but they told me you have to wait for the card to arrive. Does anyone know where I can go to put in a request to get her card. I thought it only took 3 months to arrive. Also, this was her 2nd Biometrics test. The first one was close to 7 months now. Please help.

Hi,

My wife who is a non US citizen took her Biometrics more than 4 months ago and we still have not received a Social Security number/Card. I went to the SS office but they told me you have to wait for the card to arrive. Does anyone know where I can go to put in a request to get her card. I thought it only took 3 months to arrive. Also, this was her 2nd Biometrics test. The first one was close to 7 months now. Please help.

It shouldn't take that long. Have you completed the application with SSA and submitted it to the office in person? If not, just go to the Social Security office and fill out the application there. Make sure you take your wife's passport and letters from USCIS showing she is here legally.

Hi,

I already did that and they said you need the Social Security card itself. They won't accept the immigration letters saying she is legal or in process.

Social Security card or the EAD?
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Sorry. I meant the EAD card. I need the EAD card in order to get the SS card, right?

That's right, at this point anyway. If your wife had arrived on a K1, she could have applied for a SSN within approximately 2 weeks after arrival (it takes about 2 wks for the I94 to be recorded in the SAVE-ASVI system) and up to 14 days prior to the expiry date on the I94. All she would have needed to do is to go into the local SSA office and show her valid I94, passport, SS5, one more valid ID and a copy of SSA RM 00203.500. But that card would have been imprinted, "Valid for Work only with USCIS Authorization".

Now that the AOS process is underway and the I94 is expired, she will have to await the EAD.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.