50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Successful AOS interview

I want to thank everyone on this board who helped me with advice during this experience with the USCIS and this process. It has been quite an education. Here is a summary of our experence....

Met my wife in 2/05. She was here with her son on a B2 visa. We dated, fell in love. Got in engaged 10/05. Had our daughter in 04/06. We had a long wait trying to get her annualment paperwork and a certified copy of here Birth Certificate from the Philippines. After about 14 nerve racking months we finally received all the documents that we requested. Here is the rest of our time line.

2/16/07 we were married
    3/26/07 Hired an immigration attorney to help us file our paperwork.
    4/29/07 sent all paperwork (I130's, I-864's & I-485's) for my stepson and wife to the UNCIS.
    5/7/07 - Paperwork was received by UNCIS,
    6/4/07 - Biometrics
    8/6/07 - AOS interview at 1:00 with wife and step-son.

The interview process...

We were a little nervous before the interview, one because my wife and stepson were both overstays before we got married, two because my step-sons passport was expired.

We did decide to take the attorney with us to the interview.

We had an hour and half drive to the interview, and I had been pretty nervous the week before the interview, but oddly enough my wife and I were relatively calm on the day of the interview. We had been together for 2 1/2 years and I think we were just glad that this day had finally came.

We checked in and turned in our paperwork at around 12:35 our attorney was already there, because he had another case that morning. He said we would probably be the first case seen after the USCIS officers lunch.

Sure enough at 1:00 sharp we were called back. My wife, stepson, Attorney, and myself, and a briefcase full of paper documenting our life together, all cram into a small office. We also took copies of everything, and I mean evrything that we had originally sent to the USCIS. The interviewer was very nice and friendly. She reviewed the my wifes file first, and asked all the questions that were on the I-485. Then she asked us a few questions, about our relationship. How we met. When did we get in engaged. She did ask us, why we waited so long to get married after we were engaged...but she kinda answered the question by saying "was that planned or did it just happen thet way" I said it just happened that way, and she went on to the next question. Which was good because I didn't want to explain the hassel we had getting the paperwork from the Philippines. She asked to see our evidence of marriage (we didn't much bec\ my wife didn't have an ssn and it's difficult if not impossible to get bank acct's etc without that number.) We gave her a utility bill, an avidavit from my mom and our neighbors, and a copy of our last will and testament. Then we showed her a photo al*** of about 70 pictures in Chronological order (most of them stamped with a date) of our relationship. She seemed to enjoy them. After that she review my Stepson file, she removed his I-94 from the passport amd didn't even check to see if it was expired. She asked him like 3 questions, one was "have you ever been married?" He's 9 yrs old..so he said no, but he did have a girlfriend, and that got a little laugh from everyone in the room.

After that the interviewer said everything looked good she had one more thing she needed to confirm, but it wouldn't effect her decision. She said congratulations you should be getting your PR cards within the next three weeks. We said thank you, and we left. I looked at my watch on the way out and it was 1:14.

It really felt like a boulder the size of Detroit had been lifted off my shoulders as we walked out of that Federal Building.

Our attorney said, we had one of the better officers there. He said she has always been very fair and effecient. Quite honestly I think she had made her decision before we entered the room. Plus it is a conditional PR card, maybe that had something to do it. But overall the interview wasn't a bad experience. I think if you are in love, and you aren't hiding anything, you should haven't any problems getting your green card.

Once again thanks to the people who answered my questions on this board. I'd be glad to answer any questions, that anyone may have about my AOS experience.

By the way my wife and stepson received their green card in the mail on 8/17/07.

Best of luck to everyone going though this process.

I want to thank everyone on this board who helped me with advice during this experience with the USCIS and this process. It has been quite an education. Here is a summary of our experence....

Met my wife in 2/05. She was here with her son on a B2 visa. We dated, fell in love. Got in engaged 10/05. Had our daughter in 04/06. We had a long wait trying to get her annualment paperwork and a certified copy of here Birth Certificate from the Philippines. After about 14 nerve racking months we finally received all the documents that we requested. Here is the rest of our time line.

2/16/07 we were married
    3/26/07 Hired an immigration attorney to help us file our paperwork.
    4/29/07 sent all paperwork (I130's, I-864's & I-485's) for my stepson and wife to the UNCIS.
    5/7/07 - Paperwork was received by UNCIS,
    6/4/07 - Biometrics
    8/6/07 - AOS interview at 1:00 with wife and step-son.

The interview process...

We were a little nervous before the interview, one because my wife and stepson were both overstays before we got married, two because my step-sons passport was expired.

We did decide to take the attorney with us to the interview.

We had an hour and half drive to the interview, and I had been pretty nervous the week before the interview, but oddly enough my wife and I were relatively calm on the day of the interview. We had been together for 2 1/2 years and I think we were just glad that this day had finally came.

We checked in and turned in our paperwork at around 12:35 our attorney was already there, because he had another case that morning. He said we would probably be the first case seen after the USCIS officers lunch.

Sure enough at 1:00 sharp we were called back. My wife, stepson, Attorney, and myself, and a briefcase full of paper documenting our life together, all cram into a small office. We also took copies of everything, and I mean evrything that we had originally sent to the USCIS. The interviewer was very nice and friendly. She reviewed the my wifes file first, and asked all the questions that were on the I-485. Then she asked us a few questions, about our relationship. How we met. When did we get in engaged. She did ask us, why we waited so long to get married after we were engaged...but she kinda answered the question by saying "was that planned or did it just happen thet way" I said it just happened that way, and she went on to the next question. Which was good because I didn't want to explain the hassel we had getting the paperwork from the Philippines. She asked to see our evidence of marriage (we didn't much bec\ my wife didn't have an ssn and it's difficult if not impossible to get bank acct's etc without that number.) We gave her a utility bill, an avidavit from my mom and our neighbors, and a copy of our last will and testament. Then we showed her a photo al*** of about 70 pictures in Chronological order (most of them stamped with a date) of our relationship. She seemed to enjoy them. After that she review my Stepson file, she removed his I-94 from the passport amd didn't even check to see if it was expired. She asked him like 3 questions, one was "have you ever been married?" He's 9 yrs old..so he said no, but he did have a girlfriend, and that got a little laugh from everyone in the room.

After that the interviewer said everything looked good she had one more thing she needed to confirm, but it wouldn't effect her decision. She said congratulations you should be getting your PR cards within the next three weeks. We said thank you, and we left. I looked at my watch on the way out and it was 1:14.

It really felt like a boulder the size of Detroit had been lifted off my shoulders as we walked out of that Federal Building.

Our attorney said, we had one of the better officers there. He said she has always been very fair and effecient. Quite honestly I think she had made her decision before we entered the room. Plus it is a conditional PR card, maybe that had something to do it. But overall the interview wasn't a bad experience. I think if you are in love, and you aren't hiding anything, you should haven't any problems getting your green card.

Once again thanks to the people who answered my questions on this board. I'd be glad to answer any questions, that anyone may have about my AOS experience.

By the way my wife and stepson received their green card in the mail on 8/17/07.

Best of luck to everyone going though this process.

Congrations, tntdino! Best wishes for a happy future.

Just another proof that USCIS officer aren't cold-hearted robot
    As long as you have a valid case, never go in fear.

and of course, CONGRATS!

tntdino, Congrats nd Good Luck to you and your family. America is a beautiful Country and
    beautiful people..God Bless AMERICA FOREVER. Speedy.

Davdah you are right...You cannot get divorced in the Philippines. But you can get an annualment. It was a little easier for her because her foreign born husband abadonon her and their son, five yrs ago. The grounds for the divorce was Physiological Incapacity or something like that. It very hard to get annaulment in the Philippines if the marriage is btn 2 Filapino's. Not to mention it can be very expensive, and therefore not many Filapinos can afford it. My wife was lucky that her sister is a USC, (Married an Miltary American in 1989.) she has a good job and sent the money to pay for the annualment a few yrs ago. The problem we had was trying the get authenacated originals of the annulment from Manila, when she couldn't be there in person. It really slowed down the process.

I meant the ground for the "Annulment" was Physiological Incapacity...sorry about that.

CongratS tntdino, now you can have a rest from the USCIS processing.