ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: US citizen and Stepparents ?

  1. #1
    It is lawful for US citizen to apply I-130 for stepparents ?
    Thanks for your answer.

  2. #2
    It is lawful for US citizen to apply I-130 for stepparents ?
    Thanks for your answer.

  3. #3
    Katok, you may want to rethink your question.

    Is it lawful? I would think yes. USCIS is not going to put you in jail if you do.

    But will USCIS accept your application? Uhm, I am not sure. I say, read the carefully the form before you fill it out.

  4. #4
    Not jail you... that's funny.

    Step OK, in-laws no good. Read Sphy's post below.

    If you file an I-130 for a parent-in-law, it will be denied. It is not an acceptable relationship for immigration.

    No refund.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Old Man's answer is incorrect. A USC can petition for a stepparent as long as the stepparent married your birth parent before you turned 18.

    If you are applying to bring your stepparent to the United States to live, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

    Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (if you are filing for both parents, you must file a separate petition for each parent)
    A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and the names of your birth parents
    If you were not born in the U.S., a copy of either
    Your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or
    Your U.S. passport
    A copy of the civil marriage certificate of your birth parent to your stepparent showing that the marriage occurred before your 18th birthday
    A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that would verify the termination of any previous marriage(s) entered into by your birth parent or stepparent
    If anyone's name has been legally changed (differs from the name on his or her birth certificate), evidence of the name change must be provided.

  7. #7
    Great googly moogly!!! What was I thinking!?!

    Change that to step OK, in-laws no good.

    Appreciate the correction Sphy.

Similar Threads

  1. A real thread - US citizen marrying a Mexican citizen
    By rayban in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-24-2007, 03:13 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
  3. puerto rican citizen are US citizen too?
    By solodacat in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-11-2007, 09:47 PM
  4. US Citizen marries a Non US citizen on US Territory
    By Shar1 in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 03:28 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2002, 11:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: