50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Help...what should I do?

I am a citizen and I married my boyfriend of three years last April. We went to his interview and he passed not too long ago, but lately I'm having reservations about my feelings and I want more information about the possibilities of getting a divorce in the not so distant future without completly ruining his status situation. What options do I have.??

I am a citizen and I married my boyfriend of three years last April. We went to his interview and he passed not too long ago, but lately I'm having reservations about my feelings and I want more information about the possibilities of getting a divorce in the not so distant future without completly ruining his status situation. What options do I have.??

There are a lot of threads on this subject here and on other sites. Look for I-751 or I-751 and divorce.

I've searched for it and I can't find the thread that can answer my question. Does anyone have any more specific information on this matter or know exactly where I can find it?

I presume he will receive a conditional green card, (it will be conditional if you have not been married for 2 years prior to approval of AOS). 90 days prior to the expiration date on that card (2 years hence) you would normally file a joint petition to remove the conditions (known as a form I751). If he is divorced at that time he would need to file for a waiver of the joint requirement to file, and provide evidence of the bona fides of the marriage. If he is not yet divorced, if he is separated from you or in the process of divorcing at the time the I751 should be filed, then he could fall out of status and be subject to removal.

If he is divorced by the time the waiver is to be filed, he will need evidence to prove that the marriage was genuine, but simply terminated in divorce. Types of evidence should show joint tax returns filed by the couple as married and co-mingling of finances and assets, insurance policies naming each other as beneficiary, evidence that you shared a residence etc.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Jeannineh,

What exactly do you want to know? I will try to help you. I am divorced from foreigner, but I did not wish to help him with the immigration process.

If the interview was for AOS, adjustment of status and he received a conditional residency card, good for two years you can divorce and like sappyconifer said he can file I-751 on his own to remove conditions. The affidavit of support does not end with divorce.

You can do a search on this site by clinking FIND and entering divorce or conditional resident, marriage fraud, lifting or removing conditions, I-751. There are many posts where similiar situations have been discussed. You can also look for posts by me bigdummy, swissnut, aguila, michael.

good luck

just do not use marriage fraud because you could be penalized to.

Michael
    See an attorney and ask for an anullment based on marriage fraud. File as soon as possible. Ask for damages. A case like this should net you at least $100,000. Once complete, send a copy of the annullment papers to USCIS and ask that this guy be deported.