free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! with GC for expat's wife in MX

I am an Expat on a temporary assignment in Mexico. My wife is a Mexican national and we recently had her GC appointment. To make a long story short, her GC was rejected because I don't have a residense in the US. I wasn't aware of this requirement as it isn't stated on teh I-130 or I-864 that I had to fill out. Apart from the denial of the GC, they took her Laser Visa so she is no longer able to enter into the US. We have two children and my entire family lives in the US so we travel to the US frequently. Can anyone tell me what my options are so my wife can enter into the US while we are living in Mexico??? HELP PLEASE!!!

I am an Expat on a temporary assignment in Mexico. My wife is a Mexican national and we recently had her GC appointment. To make a long story short, her GC was rejected because I don't have a residense in the US. I wasn't aware of this requirement as it isn't stated on teh I-130 or I-864 that I had to fill out. Apart from the denial of the GC, they took her Laser Visa so she is no longer able to enter into the US. We have two children and my entire family lives in the US so we travel to the US frequently. Can anyone tell me what my options are so my wife can enter into the US while we are living in Mexico??? HELP PLEASE!!!

I really feel for you. It is downright cruel not to give your wife a greencard, especially since you have done everything legally!!! It makes me steaming mad just to hear about it. I'm definately no expert, but from what I've heard, it will actually be harder for your wife to get any kind of a visa to enter the United States because she has obvious "immigrant intent." The current immigration system punishes people for marrying foreigners, expecially Mexican ones.
    Have a nice day

go get a residence in the US, then RE-FILE.

-= nav =-

From your post it sounds like YOU filed I-130 etc. on her behalf. How is that possible without at least having a GC?! It's CLEARLY stated in the I-130 instructions that this form can only be filed by GC holders or USC.

Also, how did you travel to the US? On a visitor visa, border pass?

I am a US citizen on a temporary foreign assignment in Mexico. I lived in the US for 25 years before I took this assignment.

I don't know when I will be leaving nor where I will be leaving to so it is kind of hard to get a residence in the US. I could just buy a house in my home town but don't you think they will investigate and find out that I don't really live there?

The formal definition of an expat is not just the physical moving away from your native country but also a formal renounciation of your allegiance to the U.S. and our Constitutuion! Did you do any of this? How about filing U.S. taxes for income earned abbroad? This is your obligation as a U.S. citizen as well! If any of the above applies to you, you may not have the legal right to sponser a foreign national into the U.S. Check with a good immigration and nationality attorney!

think about it.

how cna you make her a resident of a country even YOU are not residing in?

you have to show up for interviews in the us, show us utility, loans, etc. bills to prove bona fide marraige, have an address to adequately responde to letters they send, show up for fingerprinting.

kinda hard to do all that if both of you live in a foreign country.

When you decide to move back -- then file for her.

-= nav =-

I have filed US tax returns since I came to Mexico. I had a letter from my company stating the I am in Mexico temporary. We had our appointmnet at the US consulate in Ciudad Juarez. It also states on the I-130 that if you are residing abroad, you must file your I-130 at the local consulate. That is what I did.

I applied for here GC because I don't know how long I will be here and if my company tells me tomorrow that I have to leave, her immigration stuff would already be taken care of. I was trying to be proactive.

Well, I don't know, in your first post, you were claiming to be an expat. If you're on a temp leave, that is not an expat! Being determined an expat by the U.S. government, has severe legal consequences not only in regard to sponsorship of a foreign national but also in your attempt to return to your birth country. Legal actions in regard to national security could and are being brought up against U.S. citizen all the time. Like I suggested to you, you should consult an attorney!

Cut to the chase: without a residency or strong U.S. ties, and unless you were working abbroad for an American company (preferably Haliburton ;-) or the U.S. government you will naturally have more difficulty sponsoring your spouse back to the U.S.