free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: needs opinion

My friend migrated here 4 yrs ago on immigrant visa as a dependent to his wife.Both are legally married in UK.During the filing of his immigrant status he declared himself as single as advised by some other friend.He had a previous marriage in australia wherein he has 2 kids but the marriage had been annuled prior to thier filing of the petition.
    Now he's planning to apply for citizenship this year and wants to declare the previous marriage
    as annuled. In this case his previous record of filing single will contradict to his application for citizenship.
    Please we need any input.

My friend migrated here 4 yrs ago on immigrant visa as a dependent to his wife.Both are legally married in UK.During the filing of his immigrant status he declared himself as single as advised by some other friend.He had a previous marriage in australia wherein he has 2 kids but the marriage had been annuled prior to thier filing of the petition.
    Now he's planning to apply for citizenship this year and wants to declare the previous marriage
    as annuled. In this case his previous record of filing single will contradict to his application for citizenship.
    Please we need any input.

HI Yell and welcome to Ilw,

I am sorry I don't quite follow...

They married in UK, so he came here I guess on K3 or Cr1? When applying for that visa he would have been already married to the USC?
    Why would he put himself as single when he was married to her?

Where did the single part come into it? Sorry, could you clarify?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Prior to his present marriage, he had a previous marriage which had been annulled.His other friend told him not to declare that previous marriage since it will cause a delay in the processing of the family petition wherein his wife is the primary petitioner and he is only a dependent, and he won't be able to petition his kids till he get his own green card.They all migrated here as an immigrant through his wife's job.His wife is a nurse.
    Thank you so much for giving your time on this issue.I appreciate it a lot.

Im sorry he did not declare himself as single.He declared it as married but he did not declared the previous marriage.

Sorry Yell my mistake, I misunderstood.

Yes he should be truthful on the N-400, as if they catch him out lying now,that would go against him.

I am not sure what the implications are for lying before, hopefully someone else here will know.

Basically he didn't reveal previous marriages. I guess if that was me, I would say.... I thought annuled marriages didn't count or something like that.
    I am not sure why he couldn't reveal it, I know plenty of immigrants who were married before and didn't delay the petition.

Please check back again later when more people are about, hopefully someone here will know a straight answer or find information for you on it.

I must admit not heard of anyone doing that before, but we live and learn.

All the best

Just read your last post..yes that is what I thought Yell..he would have classed himself as married for his wife to bring him over.
    I gathered it must have been declaring previous marriages.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually Yell..if he came over on a visa, when did he get his Green Card?

He has to have a Green card for 4yrs 9 months before he can apply for Citizenship.

They migrated here jan 2004 and he got his green card around feb 2004.
    Thanks.Hopefully somebody can give thier own views as well.

Yell do you know what visa type they came in on? Was it the H1C I think it is called?

Just wondering if that type visa had notes about declaring previous marriages or not.

Some forms are different to others you see.

It may help someone knowing which one, just in case.

The employer filed I 140 I dont know what kind of visa,its an immigrant visa for the whole family.They recieved an INS # upon entry as reference that they were admitted and they recieved thier green card after 1 month.
    Thanks a lot for your time.