publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Immigration Law Question: Lost IAP-66 (Re: Waiver for 2 yr HRR )

I have seen some discussions with people having problems because they can't locate an old IAP-66 to prove that they don't have a 2 yr HRR.

My problem is a bit different. I was here from 97-01 on the Fulbright program and after that in graduate school (still j-1). I am missing my IAP-66 from 1998-99, however, I am not claiming that I am not subject to the 2 yr HRR. In fact ALL my forms , plus ALL my J-1 visas state that I am subject to that rule.

Would I still need the WHOLE record of my IAP-66 if I am not claiming that I am not subject to the rule?

My old university didn't keep the records. The sponsor was USIA (Fulbright) but USIA was dissolved in 1999. I am not sure who to contact to get their records.

I have contacted the administrator of the program I was on and they don't have copies from back then, however they are willing to write a letter.
    Based on the fact that it's clear that I am subject to the 2 yr HRR, what should they write in that letter? My question here is what are the officials looking for on those IAP-66s that I can have my sponsor/administrator verify?

My last resorts for getting a copy of the IAP-66 is to contact the US embassy in my country and do an FOIA on USCIS... anybody had luck or has advise regarding both?

Thank you!

I have seen some discussions with people having problems because they can't locate an old IAP-66 to prove that they don't have a 2 yr HRR.

My problem is a bit different. I was here from 97-01 on the Fulbright program and after that in graduate school (still j-1). I am missing my IAP-66 from 1998-99, however, I am not claiming that I am not subject to the 2 yr HRR. In fact ALL my forms , plus ALL my J-1 visas state that I am subject to that rule.

Would I still need the WHOLE record of my IAP-66 if I am not claiming that I am not subject to the rule?

My old university didn't keep the records. The sponsor was USIA (Fulbright) but USIA was dissolved in 1999. I am not sure who to contact to get their records.

I have contacted the administrator of the program I was on and they don't have copies from back then, however they are willing to write a letter.
    Based on the fact that it's clear that I am subject to the 2 yr HRR, what should they write in that letter? My question here is what are the officials looking for on those IAP-66s that I can have my sponsor/administrator verify?

My last resorts for getting a copy of the IAP-66 is to contact the US embassy in my country and do an FOIA on USCIS... anybody had luck or has advise regarding both?

Thank you!

Hi Alaska,

Welcome to the ILW.

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your case. I'm pushing this thread up so the old-timers can help you out.

Good luck.
    Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley

Someone12
    it's a simple fact....ALL Fulbright participants are subject to the 2 year rule....period...without exception....no matter what kind of 'deserving' person your friends say you are.....follow our rules...that was your agreement years ago when you applied for the J1 Fulbright program...yet...here you are, years later, trying to worm out of the program's basic requirements....thus, you're just another visa cheat who doesn't want to play by our rules.....

Someone12, I find your statement offensive. If I am deserving will be judged by my contributions to my scientific field and to the community and not by my friends. However, being deserving or not makes not difference whether you can stay in this country, unfortunately. If it did, I am sure trolls like you that have nothing better to do than run around forums antagonizing others, even if American, would be kicked out. So you are lucky in this respect.

I am not trying to "worm" out of anything, nor trying to "cheat". In fact, I am proceeding using all the rules of the U.S. Government, i.e. applying for a waiver.

Contracts and agreements can easily be broken if both parties agree. So to give you an upgrade, both the fulbright commission and my country have given No Objection to me getting a waiver.

Additionally, I have found the 2 IAP-66s that I was missing and my document portfolio is complete.

I really appreciate your country for paying for my education and employing me, and ignorant fools like you don't change my appreciation.

See you around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
    Here is the problem. Even though you admit you are subject to the HRR a sponsor letter does not disclose your skills list status. Certain classes of J-1 visa holders are ineligible for a waiver depending on the job classification on the skills list and the originating country. That is information specific to the IAP-66.

The best bet is to have the sponsor request a copy of the IAP-66 or DS-2019. They seeem to have more clout in getting it than the visa holder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi davdah, and thanks for your response. In the last few months, not exactly sure when, my country has withdrawn for the skills list, so that shouldn't stand in my way.

Someone12
    -this post has been deleted for violation of board rules-

--------------------
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. " - Thomas Jefferson

I am in the exact situation as you. Could you please tell me how to get copies of lost Iap66 record. Many thanks in advance.