free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help please

Ok, I live in TX. I have lived in the U.S all my life but was born out of the country. Both Mom and Dad are U.S born citizens along with all my siblings. I have a sort of social security card but I cant work with it or go to college. My parents recently separated and my dad who promised to take care of it lives across the state now and for some reason he hasn't gotten it done yet and its been a while. When I bring it up he doesn't really have an answer.

Could there be some legal barrier that has keep him from getting this done?

Ok, I live in TX. I have lived in the U.S all my life but was born out of the country. Both Mom and Dad are U.S born citizens along with all my siblings. I have a sort of social security card but I cant work with it or go to college. My parents recently separated and my dad who promised to take care of it lives across the state now and for some reason he hasn't gotten it done yet and its been a while. When I bring it up he doesn't really have an answer.

Could there be some legal barrier that has keep him from getting this done?

IMU: I'm not an expert on your situation. However, if both of your parents are American-born citizens, then I think that you are also a citizen...or can have your citizenship awarded through your parents; there is a process for achieving this.

Do you know if your parents registered your birth with the American embassy in the country of your birth?

The only issue that I can foresee is if, prior to your birth, neither of your parents resided in America for more than five years after the age of fourteen.

I'm not sure if they registered me, But I would imagine they did since I have that social sec card. That reads not valid for employment right at the top.

And me and my parents came back to the U.S within a moth or two of my birth and we've all been here ever since

IMU: It seems to me that your parents are not treating this situation with the seriousness that it deserves. I would recommend that you go to the website for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Search for: "birth abroad to U.S. citizen parents"

I'm confident that you will find all of the relevant information...and maybe your parents will be motivated to fulfill their responsibilities in this regard.

I agree with you.

Imagine How I felt when I turned 16 and wanted to go get my driving permit and my dad stringed it on me. I had lived my life up to then thinking It was all ok.

Its one of the reason my parents had problems my dad was of suppose of have taken care of this years ago but my dad keep putting it off as if it was just any other shore.

I think ill try and do things myself.

Ill check out the website

ok, read this

No. Individuals who are 18 years of age or older on February 27, 2001, do not qualify for citizenship under the CCA, even if they meet all other criteria. If they wish to become U.S. citizens, they must apply for naturalization and meet eligibility requirements that currently exist for adult lawful permanent residents.

I turned 18 as of feb 27, 2008. so do I qualify.

Have you ever had a passport? Do you know if your parents obtained a US passport or documentation for you to bring you back to the US after you were born?

If you ever had a passport then you are a USC.

I remember reading somewhere, and will try and find it, that you automatically have Citizenship through your parents, if you have lived with the father for x amount of years, and he has regarded you as his son.
    I think it might just be down to getting the right documents, than having to Naturalize.
    If you are not a USC..what would you be seen as?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

I read the stuff SunDevilUSA suggested I look at. And there is a lot of info there I match all criteria I think. And it doesn't look as complicated as I thought . The only thing I'm worried about is my age I'm already 18 but I think it says I'm qualified for automatic citizenship as long as I wasn't 18 in 2001 when the act became effective

Hello Imu

Welcome to Ilw forum

IMU, have you asked your mother for more details? I know that you state that your parents are natural born , but Is it possible that your parents were only green card holders at the time of your birth and later naturalized?