50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-2014
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citizenship test waiver for senior (disabled)

My parents want to apply for citizenship. My dad 75 years old and can't hear and my mom doesn't speak English. Is there a waiver for elderly people to apply for citizenship without taking a Citizenship civic exam? Thanks

My parents want to apply for citizenship. My dad 75 years old and can't hear and my mom doesn't speak English. Is there a waiver for elderly people to apply for citizenship without taking a Citizenship civic exam? Thanks

Have you looked on the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization site? Are you a Legal Permanent Resident? I'm sure there is something you can do, if you are indeed a legal, to bring your elderly parents over. There are others on this board who are way more educated than I. But give the USINS site a try too.

here is my question.

What is the point applying for citizenship at the age of 75??? what difference will that make for a 75 year old man. Other than wasting money and time.

Both of my parents had been legal permanent residence for the past 5 year and they are now eligible to apply for citizenship, the problem I don't think they can pass the civic exam so I wonder if they are a waiver for citizenship civic test for elderly people?

To HBKHBK
    They can't apply for Medicare program for health insurance and social security supplement until they became citizen.

I know there is, but can not remember the details.

It should be on the USCIS site.

Medical issues is the obvious reason to apply in these circumstances.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HBKHBK:
    here is my question.

What is the point applying for citizenship at the age of 75??? what difference will that make for a 75 year old man. Other than wasting money and time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Estate tax is one huge reason!
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeid:
    My parents want to apply for citizenship. My dad 75 years old and can't hear and my mom doesn't speak English. Is there a waiver for elderly people to apply for citizenship without taking a Citizenship civic exam? Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aliens that are over a certain age and have been in the USA as Permanent residents for 25 years (I think) or more do not have to provide biometrics, and are not required to take the English test. The civics test is still required. Disabled are afforded some assistance, but the exam is still given.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Sappy & Theone,

thanks for letting me know I did not know that.
    Honestly I am shocked,so you are telling me a non citizen can not apply or is entitled to medicare???

Guess I am learining something knew...can either one of you give me some details about it.

ummmmm got me stumped on this one too. So me as wife of USC who is insured thru my husband when he retires and has medicare I wont be insured? Becuase i am a pr and not a citizen??