publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Can a denied asylum applicant file AOS based on marriage to USC?

A Colombian friend of mine entered the United States without a visa (he intended to apply for asylum in the U.K. but because he made a stop in Miami, London's immigration authorities put him in a plane to the US) and he applied for asylum. He attended the first hearing but did not go to the second one (scheduled for October 2000) because his lawyer told him he had a weak case. He moved to PA and has been living in the US for the past 7 years. He is now married to a USC, can he now file AOS based on his marriage or does he need a waiver?

Someone12
    great....another lying $hitbag....sure she can file....but this empanada vendor will need a waiver and I doubt he will get one because he is just a lowlife dirtbag.....

Originally posted by Someone12:
    great....another lying $hitbag....sure she can file....but this empanada vendor will need a waiver and I doubt he will get one because he is just a lowlife dirtbag.....
    Yeah, that's a terrible thing - someone makes it to their idea of paradise on earth compared to where they came from and decided that they would rather stay here then go back to where things are rough. Horrible.

Aren't you getting tired? Why don't you go blow your brains out.

hearing before an Immigration Judge or Asylum Officer?

Originally posted by Aguila:
    A Colombian friend of mine entered the United States without a visa (he intended to apply for asylum in the U.K. but because he made a stop in Miami, London's immigration authorities put him in a plane to the US) and he applied for asylum. He attended the first hearing but did not go to the second one (scheduled for October 2000) because his lawyer told him he had a weak case. He moved to PA and has been living in the US for the past 7 years. He is now married to a USC, can he now file AOS based on his marriage or does he need a waiver?
    He can file to adjust status, but I wonder if he was refused entry to the UK, whether he was paroled into the USA? This would be a question for an immigration attorney.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

sappyconifer:

He was denied entry to the U.K. they told him that an alien seeking political asylum must apply in the first foreign country he steps into and because he had made a stop in Miami (transfer) on his way to the U.K. from Colombia they put him on a plane to the USA.

When he arrived to the US they allowed him to entry for purposes of applying for asylum.

The second hearing he did not attend I believe was in front of an Asylum Officer since his case was for asylum and at the time was going as normal.