50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Marriage Question

My fiance is 20 years old and has been living in the US for four years, he came here legally but recently his visa has expired.

He and are planning to get married next year but I don't know everything I need to know about immigration laws and such.

What will we need to go through to keep him here legally? Will it be difficult to get married, what kinds of complications will we face?

Since I am a US citizen will he be able to stay here legally and work if we get married?

please respond, I need information.

My fiance is 20 years old and has been living in the US for four years, he came here legally but recently his visa has expired.

He and are planning to get married next year but I don't know everything I need to know about immigration laws and such.

What will we need to go through to keep him here legally? Will it be difficult to get married, what kinds of complications will we face?

Since I am a US citizen will he be able to stay here legally and work if we get married?

please respond, I need information.

Hello Jose

Welcome to the forum

Your fiance entered on a valid visa. What type of visa?

If his visa is expired, then you should make arrangements to get married right away. He can be picked up by uscis and detained at anytime. He would go into removal proceedings which would make life a bit difficult for you both.

Get married

File paperwork I-130, 1-485, i-765, (2)325A biological information , i-693 medical,

In addition in order for him to adjust to legal status, an affidavit of support i-864 must be filed. You will be the finanacial sponser for him. if your income does not meet the guidelines, you will need to obtain a co sponser that can qualify for the I-864

More infor on this filing can be found at uscis.gov or visajourney.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoSeLiNE:

please respond, I need information. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What kind of visa he had? A student with D/S mark on it?

You two can get married regardless of his status. That shouldn't be a problem.

You can help him with his immigration status by sponsoring him as your spouse once you are married. There forms to be filed out and fees paid. After the papers are sent (I-130 + I-485 + I-765 for employment authorisation + supporting documents), his stay will be again authorised and status "pending adjustment of status AOS" and he'll be authorised to work once he receives Employmnet authorisation document. In the meantime, he is here not legaly and may get in trouble any month, week, day...

You can take a look at those forms and see what's required. In addition, you'll need to sign I-864 Affidavit of support, so see how you can satisfy financial requirements.

What exactly is a financial sponsor?

I'm sure that I won't be much help financially, I'm in school and not working much. What can I do to make things easier?

Hi Joseline, your fiance will need a financial sponsor, so he does not become a public burden to the US, I think the guideline for sponsorship is that you need to be earning around $18000 per year, if you do not, you can get a co sponsor, usually a relative of the USC or a close friend, but be aware that once this goes thru the process, you will be liable for him, as he will not be able to receive any benefits,

I think 4now will be able to explain things a little better, but this is the jist of it.

Jake, You have explained just fine.

Joseline, this is necessary part of the process, he cannot get legal without the i-864 (financial sponserhip) being fulfilled by you and another co sponser.

You need to make enough money or have enough assets to qualify as his sponser, if you do not as you claim, then you will have to find someone who does qualify and is willing to be his co sponser.

Start looking and thinking of who that person will be, as he cannot adjust status without a sponser.