50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: 9 Years and 27 Days, Finally Green Card

This post is just to tell the long process of what I went through to get my green card. In 1996 I was hired from Canada to a company in Texas as a consultant. A small business. Not knowing squat about the immigration process. My first visa was a TN consulatant visa (probably the worst of all work visas) This visa is for consulting and is only good for a year, however, it is renewable in one year incriments (sp). One of the difficult requirements when holding this visa is you have to keep a residence in your home country, while (temp) living in the US. Also, as per the nature of consulting, you can only do so much until "consulting" is done. Basically telling a company how it should opporate, as was my job. I did this for two years on this visa, and yes had a very good, however very expensive immigration lawyer. During these two years, I saved every (extra) penny I made. At the end of two years the owner asked me if I wanted to buy half the company and be partners. Thought about it, went back to my expensive lawyer and found the visa I would need, which in my case was the E-2 visa (invester visa) This was very expensive. I took the $95,000.00 I saved over the two years and invested it in the company, thus giving me half the company. The E-2 Visa is good for 5 years, however you have to leave the country every 2 years, basically just to cross the boarder, check in, get a new white I-94 card, which I did. This E-2 Visa does not lead to green card, it is just a temporary resident visa, but I had no other options, as I did not qualify for any other visa. So I figured I was stuck and would just have to live on this visa forever. Years went by, lots of travel to keep my I-94 current, flights, hotels etc. it gets expensive. Anyway, years went by, and it was time to renew the E-2 Visa. Did that, again, had to hire lawyer to make it happen, give them lots of paperwork to show the company is still around and making money, paying taxes...etc. Anyway, during these years, my company won several awards, national, regional and local for our work, also, numerous articles in mags, newspapers, both local and national, even a spot on ABC World News. So during these years, I kept every single article, trophy, mag, ...just everything, basically so in my old age, could look back at it all and think, "cool". During my last E-2 renewal, I asked my lawyer if there was any other visa I'd qualify for, cause i was tired of living as a temporary resident. Turns out I qualified for the EB-1 visa (alien with extraordinary abilities) ---This is not an easy Visa to get as the qualifications are extreme. But with all the national awards and recognition I (we, partner and I) received, he thought I'd qualify. So, I paid him the $18,000.00 to start the paperwork on this visa. (expensive, I know) Then I gave him copies of everything, awards etc. 9 years of stuff, and it was a large box of it. Anyway, I applied for this Visa and Green Card at the same time, lawyer said it should take about two years, if I applied for them separately it could take three years. Long storey short, from the time I applied for this visa and green card, it actually took only 6 WEEKS !! My lawyer was stunned, so was I. SIX WEEKS !! Apparently there are not alot of people that qualify for this visa so the paperwork the immigration people that handle this visa was only minimal. So, after 9 years and 27 days of working / living in the US (LEGALLY) I finally got my green card a month ago. Also, fyi, thanks to MS Money and Quickbooks, I looked to see how much money I spent on all of this immigration, visas, lawyers, travel, investment etc. the total came to $179,000.00. Yes 95k of that went to invest in the company, but I still had to pay that, then the next large chunk went to the lawyers. Yes immigration lawyers are very expensive, but they can figure it out and make it happen. I would never suggest doing your immigration work by yourself, one mess up or missed date can cost you your residencey. If you had a water leak, you wouldn't fix it yourself, you'd call a plumber, if you had an electrical problem, you wouldn't fix it yourself, you'd call an electrician, and if you are dealing with immigration matters, hire an immigration lawyer. Anyway, finally after all these years, I don't have to deal with this anymore...at least till Naturalization time...in five years.

This post is just to tell the long process of what I went through to get my green card. In 1996 I was hired from Canada to a company in Texas as a consultant. A small business. Not knowing squat about the immigration process. My first visa was a TN consulatant visa (probably the worst of all work visas) This visa is for consulting and is only good for a year, however, it is renewable in one year incriments (sp). One of the difficult requirements when holding this visa is you have to keep a residence in your home country, while (temp) living in the US. Also, as per the nature of consulting, you can only do so much until "consulting" is done. Basically telling a company how it should opporate, as was my job. I did this for two years on this visa, and yes had a very good, however very expensive immigration lawyer. During these two years, I saved every (extra) penny I made. At the end of two years the owner asked me if I wanted to buy half the company and be partners. Thought about it, went back to my expensive lawyer and found the visa I would need, which in my case was the E-2 visa (invester visa) This was very expensive. I took the $95,000.00 I saved over the two years and invested it in the company, thus giving me half the company. The E-2 Visa is good for 5 years, however you have to leave the country every 2 years, basically just to cross the boarder, check in, get a new white I-94 card, which I did. This E-2 Visa does not lead to green card, it is just a temporary resident visa, but I had no other options, as I did not qualify for any other visa. So I figured I was stuck and would just have to live on this visa forever. Years went by, lots of travel to keep my I-94 current, flights, hotels etc. it gets expensive. Anyway, years went by, and it was time to renew the E-2 Visa. Did that, again, had to hire lawyer to make it happen, give them lots of paperwork to show the company is still around and making money, paying taxes...etc. Anyway, during these years, my company won several awards, national, regional and local for our work, also, numerous articles in mags, newspapers, both local and national, even a spot on ABC World News. So during these years, I kept every single article, trophy, mag, ...just everything, basically so in my old age, could look back at it all and think, "cool". During my last E-2 renewal, I asked my lawyer if there was any other visa I'd qualify for, cause i was tired of living as a temporary resident. Turns out I qualified for the EB-1 visa (alien with extraordinary abilities) ---This is not an easy Visa to get as the qualifications are extreme. But with all the national awards and recognition I (we, partner and I) received, he thought I'd qualify. So, I paid him the $18,000.00 to start the paperwork on this visa. (expensive, I know) Then I gave him copies of everything, awards etc. 9 years of stuff, and it was a large box of it. Anyway, I applied for this Visa and Green Card at the same time, lawyer said it should take about two years, if I applied for them separately it could take three years. Long storey short, from the time I applied for this visa and green card, it actually took only 6 WEEKS !! My lawyer was stunned, so was I. SIX WEEKS !! Apparently there are not alot of people that qualify for this visa so the paperwork the immigration people that handle this visa was only minimal. So, after 9 years and 27 days of working / living in the US (LEGALLY) I finally got my green card a month ago. Also, fyi, thanks to MS Money and Quickbooks, I looked to see how much money I spent on all of this immigration, visas, lawyers, travel, investment etc. the total came to $179,000.00. Yes 95k of that went to invest in the company, but I still had to pay that, then the next large chunk went to the lawyers. Yes immigration lawyers are very expensive, but they can figure it out and make it happen. I would never suggest doing your immigration work by yourself, one mess up or missed date can cost you your residencey. If you had a water leak, you wouldn't fix it yourself, you'd call a plumber, if you had an electrical problem, you wouldn't fix it yourself, you'd call an electrician, and if you are dealing with immigration matters, hire an immigration lawyer. Anyway, finally after all these years, I don't have to deal with this anymore...at least till Naturalization time...in five years.

Congratulations.

I came in on a TN Visa (2001)- renewed once. Had my GC December 2003. Filed for adjustment of Status in person at Distrct office. (I have a 4 yr Bachelors and 2 Masters Degrees. Did it myself - cost me $700.

Thanks SunDevilUSA. Dragonlady, I didn't think TN Visa leads to Green Card (but then I thought my Green Card woulda been green). Did you go on a different visa after the TN ?

No other visa. You can adjust from a TN - District office very helpful! You can also apply for Naturalizatio 4 years and 1 day after LPR status accepted - which is often earlier than actual receipt of GC. And you can keep Canadian citizenship. But anyway - congratulations from one Canuck to another. : )