free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tn status

I am canadian. Offered a job by a US company to work a US and Canadian territory. Mostly US. This is an account management position...aka sales. It is very specific to my background and experience in agriculture....but not relevant to my BACHELOR OF ARTS MAJOR.
    There is not a job description under the TN listings for account management or sales. I am not a consultant. I will be paid by the US company. Anyone have any ideas?

I am canadian. Offered a job by a US company to work a US and Canadian territory. Mostly US. This is an account management position...aka sales. It is very specific to my background and experience in agriculture....but not relevant to my BACHELOR OF ARTS MAJOR.
    There is not a job description under the TN listings for account management or sales. I am not a consultant. I will be paid by the US company. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi J2,

I believe the job being offered to you falls under the H1B category. From:

http://www.h1base.com/content/h1bvisa

To Qualify for the H1B Visa Program, you must work in a 'specialty occupation':
    The core Specialty Occupations include: IT, Computing, Finance, Accounting, Banking, Marketing, Advertising, PR, Sales, Recruiting, Engineering (all types), Teaching, HealthCare/Medical, Legal, Lawyers, Networking, Telecoms, Business, Management and Hospitality.

An H1B visa is typically valid for up to six (6) years and entitles your spouse (husband/wife) and children (under 21) to accompany you and live in the USA on an H4 visa. The H4 dependent visa does not allow your spouse/children to work (unless they get their own H1B visa).

thanks proud...i was hoping some leniency in their position descriptions. i am sure many get stuck not falling into any category.

yes the hb looks like the path...but i didn't want to complicate it too much for the employer. it seems they have that fast track one though....

so maybe that is the route.

there is a quota on HB visas????? I just read that...so given that it is late in the year does this mean that even if you qualify and you have an offer that doesn't mean they will give you one...if the quota is maxed?

Hey J2,

I found this for you. The employer has 25 days left to apply for you according to this table:

H1B Fiscal Year H1B Filing Date Date H1B Quota Cap Reached

2005 April/1/2004 October/1/ 2004
    2006 April/1/2005 August/10/ 2005
    2007 April/1/2006 May/26/2006
    2008 April/1/2007 April/2/2007
    2009 April/1/2008 April/7/2008
    2010 April/1/2009 25 Days To Go

Source

There is a cap but it has not been reached yet this year (economy and companies are scared to hire foreign nationals). I would have them file ASAP- you never know when the cap will be reached. it could be 25 days from now, it could be sooner or it could be later.

wowie zowie!
    thanks.

is their a canadian forum here...or just this general area...because i may not be posting in the right place.

Hi J2,

This forum is only divided in two sections: one for lawyers; one for non-lawyers. So, you are in the right place.

Good luck and tell your prospective employer to get the forms filed ASAP.

anyone with experience in defining your profession for TN status....when it falls into a gray area? such as sales/account management etc.....