publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Will misdemeanor complicate renewal?

I was recently given a ticket for supplying alcohol to a minor (got caught drinking a beer at a campsite with my 20 year old girlfriend) and was offered a forfeit bail option for 500 dollars and I have to decide by the 8th of October. Im tempted to take the offer but if I do so it goes on my record and my green card expires the start of next year (I am canadian, not sure if that makes a difference) what are the chances of this misdemeanor on my record complicating my green card renewal?

I was recently given a ticket for supplying alcohol to a minor (got caught drinking a beer at a campsite with my 20 year old girlfriend) and was offered a forfeit bail option for 500 dollars and I have to decide by the 8th of October. Im tempted to take the offer but if I do so it goes on my record and my green card expires the start of next year (I am canadian, not sure if that makes a difference) what are the chances of this misdemeanor on my record complicating my green card renewal?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stymeist:
    I was recently given a ticket for supplying alcohol to a minor (got caught drinking a beer at a campsite with my 20 year old girlfriend) and was offered a forfeit bail option for 500 dollars and I have to decide by the 8th of October. Im tempted to take the offer but if I do so it goes on my record and my green card expires the start of next year (I am canadian, not sure if that makes a difference) what are the chances of this misdemeanor on my record complicating my green card renewal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What??? Your girlfriend is 20..you had a beer and a cop gave you a ticket for supplying your girlfriend with a beer? What kind of campsite was that? Can you elaborate a little please?

If I would be you, I would not take the fault for this. This woman is old enough to make her own decision whether she wants to have a beer or not.

I would talk to a lawyer - do not plead guilty!!
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

For you the question involves not what type of campsite it was, but if the crime is a felony, misdemeanor, or infraction. I would advise to fight this case in court. If the officer did not seize the beer and hold it as evidence, then you will win if you have a good attorney.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kollerkrot:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stymeist:
    I was recently given a ticket for supplying alcohol to a minor (got caught drinking a beer at a campsite with my 20 year old girlfriend) and was offered a forfeit bail option for 500 dollars and I have to decide by the 8th of October. Im tempted to take the offer but if I do so it goes on my record and my green card expires the start of next year (I am canadian, not sure if that makes a difference) what are the chances of this misdemeanor on my record complicating my green card renewal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What??? Your girlfriend is 20..you had a beer and a cop gave you a ticket for supplying your girlfriend with a beer? What kind of campsite was that? Can you elaborate a little please?

If I would be you, I would not take the fault for this. This woman is old enough to make her own decision whether she wants to have a beer or not.

I would talk to a lawyer - do not plead guilty!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

drinking Age = 21

Campgrounds in all Of america = no Alcoholic beverages.

contributing to a Minor.

Su cks but true!!!
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

It is my fault, technically she is underage and I did purchase it, but no, the cop did not seize the alcohol. In Washington state furnishing alcohol to a minor is a gross misdemeanor, if I do plead not guilty than the fact that I made 45,000 dollars last year, currently do not pay rent because I live with my best friend who owns his own house, than I will probably not be entitled to a public defender. I now am no longer making that much money and would have a hard time affording a "good attorney" so the forfeit bail sounds pretty appealing. I'm attempting to contact an immigration attorney and get some advice but I still would like to have some sort of information on my question. When applying for my green card renewal, will having a misdemeanor on my record (considering what the charge was) affect the process? and to what extent?

Did the police witness you when you purchased the beer? Can they prove it was you who purchased it? Did they check to see if your girlfriend had a fake id? After all, she could have been the one who purchased it.

If I were you, I would fight it. Worth a try to get this charge off your record.

It is very tough to avoid a conviction for regulatory offenses; why you did what you did doesn't matter much, you did it and that's pretty much it.

I'm not gonna go into Gideon, but you may be right, you probably have to pay for the lawyer.

Now, most regulatory offenses are not CIMTs, and regulatory misdemeanors should not carry negative immigration consequences, that's specially true given the circumstances here.

However, I don't know what specific crime you're being accused of, the wording of the statute they're charging, or anything that may or may not be on your record.

You should speak to an immigration lawyer if you have any questions, need legal advice or want to discuss the case in detail. Doing so in a public board is something I would advice against.