free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Returning to America

Hello all,

I have been living in Germany for the last 20 years (approximately) and am seriously considering returning to the States. I do have a few questions regarding the situation. I am still a US citizen with a US passport. I am currently employed as an IT System & Security Administrator/Project Manager/System Developer. And have many years experience in IT.

1. Is there anything I need to be aware of?

2. I would also like to be able to have work and a place to live lined up before I go back. Does anyone have any ideas how best to go about finding work and living quarters? Where I live once back in the states is not really that important to me. Important is that I have work.

Thanks for any and all information and ideas.

Chuck

Hello all,

I have been living in Germany for the last 20 years (approximately) and am seriously considering returning to the States. I do have a few questions regarding the situation. I am still a US citizen with a US passport. I am currently employed as an IT System & Security Administrator/Project Manager/System Developer. And have many years experience in IT.

1. Is there anything I need to be aware of?

2. I would also like to be able to have work and a place to live lined up before I go back. Does anyone have any ideas how best to go about finding work and living quarters? Where I live once back in the states is not really that important to me. Important is that I have work.

Thanks for any and all information and ideas.

Chuck

are you also german citizen? You need to ask the authorities there what you need to do (if anything) before moving overseas.

Well, when it comes to job searching - use your network.

Have you filed your USA taxes for the past 20 years? Informed Department of Treasury about what they want to know (your foreign accounts)?

finding a job before the move was part of the idea. as well as arranging for living quarters prior to the move.

As far as the job sites go I have rarely had any success using them. seems to go better when I use local papers instead.

And as I stated I am still an American citizen with an American Passport. And I haven't filed US taxes during my time here. I have been paying German taxes and filing here.

chuck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slydder:
    ...I am still an American citizen with an American Passport. And I haven't filed US taxes during my time here. I have been paying German taxes and filing here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

American citizens and residents are obliged to file annual taxes on worldwide income regardless of where they live. I suggest you look into that and maybe file for the last 5 years.. so when you move and file for the first time, IRS doesn't come to your door with the question what have you been doing for the last X years..

You know German market. Any companies that have offices/departments in the USA that may need IT guy here?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slydder:
    finding a job before the move was part of the idea. as well as arranging for living quarters prior to the move.

As far as the job sites go I have rarely had any success using them. seems to go better when I use local papers instead.

And as I stated I am still an American citizen with an American Passport. And I haven't filed US taxes during my time here. I have been paying German taxes and filing here.

chuck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Just to clarify what Aneri said about taxes. U.S. citizens are required to file taxes form worldswide sources. There are two options for a US taxpayer to utilize to negate or reduce double taxation from abroad. One is called the foreign earned income exclusion and the other is the foreign tax credit. Foreign earned income exclusion is an election by the US taxpayer. Thus, by working in Germany, you may have had a filing requirement, but can also take the foreign earned income exclusion to reduce or elimiate any US tax owed.

One word of caution, if you were self employed in Germany, you are still liable for the self employment tax to the US unless there is a totalaization agreement between the US and the foreign country. I do believe Germany and the US have such an agreement.

The IRS and the German tax authorities also have an agreement to share tax information. This could cause problems if you have not filed German taxes or if you have foreign bank acounts with assests or interests greater than $10000. There is a Treasury form called TD F 90-22.1 where US persons are required to file the information form by June 30th. Failure to do so can result in a $10000 fine.

Finally, if you are bringing a non USC spouse, USCIS will want the last five years if you have lived abroad for a substantial amount of time.

IRS will only knock on your door if you have any outstanding liabilities and if you have igonored the letters that IRS has sent.

I hope you find this information useful. Please find a qualified tax preparer or you can go to the IRS office in Germany at

RS
    U. S. Consulate Frankfurt
    Giessener Str. 30
    60435 Frankfurt am Main

Tel: [49] (69) 7535-3834
    FAX: [49] (69) 7535-3803
    M-F 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (Closed U.S. and German Holidays)
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

US citizens can come and go as they please. It is very unlikely that you will get a job in your field, as those are mostly taken by H1Bs and other aliens. USCs are quite often discriminated against. Also, Obama will be raising taxes so the economy will be in the tank.