free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help

i was caught shoplifting in canadian tire in canada...recently..i was very cold i took a cap and a glove...worth 20$..and was caught..the thing is that i am here as a student that is on a student visa..and that i was in a group...and the people in my group also stole items worth 20$ each....there were 3 of us in the group...we were all caught together..and the guy called the police..and said that we were a gang and all..i have a case against me...i have to go back..to my country...because my dad is not well...can somebody please please tell me what will happen??....can my student visa get cancelled...and can i be deported or ordered never to come back to canada...for good???...my parents have applied for the immigration of canada..and it has got accepeted...does my crime in any case effet their status..and will they also be stopped from eneteruing canada because of me??..pleaseee somebody helpp me...i have never done these things before..and i have no previous criminal record.....

i was caught shoplifting in canadian tire in canada...recently..i was very cold i took a cap and a glove...worth 20$..and was caught..the thing is that i am here as a student that is on a student visa..and that i was in a group...and the people in my group also stole items worth 20$ each....there were 3 of us in the group...we were all caught together..and the guy called the police..and said that we were a gang and all..i have a case against me...i have to go back..to my country...because my dad is not well...can somebody please please tell me what will happen??....can my student visa get cancelled...and can i be deported or ordered never to come back to canada...for good???...my parents have applied for the immigration of canada..and it has got accepeted...does my crime in any case effet their status..and will they also be stopped from eneteruing canada because of me??..pleaseee somebody helpp me...i have never done these things before..and i have no previous criminal record.....

what *could* happen is this. You leave and you're not able to return, they issue a bench warrant and you're double messed up. You're facing a CIMT, nothing to mess around with, check with your lawyer and find good legal advice on your next course of action. If you plead guilty just to get it over with, you can be guilty as well of obstruction, if you don't believe you commited the crime. An "alford" plea is no defense in immigration courts. If you don't plea and you leave, they will see your charges when you try to re-enter, and they KNOW it is a CIMT. They can deny admission if you simply confess... and then if you're not found guilty in a court of law, you can be charged with lying to the friendly immigration official, or worse. Again, talk to a lawyer ASAP.

I wonder...have you ever thought of consequences before shoplifting????
    Looks like all worries and panic come after doing the deeds.

Shoplifting seems to be a real problem with would-be immigrants. I've seen several posts on this and other boards about this.

shoplifting is a BIG problem, however, I'd like to know the state and statute that covers your offense. Whithout more info, it's hard to tell, because "the statute is controlling... not the name of the offense or violation".

well i have been told to attend the municipal court of montreal canada...i dont really kno..its not this i am worried about..but i have to go back..my dad is really unwell...and he really wants to see me...and if anything happens to him during this period of time...i would regret it so much..i just want to kno hopefully he gets well...and if i want to come back..here..to attend the court sessions..and my court date is not until the feb of next year...so will canada let me enter without any problem...this is what is eating me upp...i kno i have no excuse as to what i did..but is there a way to get out of this..i have also hiered a lawyer..she says that she cant say anything without seeing the evidence they have...i have also recieved a letter from the store to pay 325$ as part of the damages..but i dont have that kind of money...here...please help

the money they have asked me to pay is within 5 days..and this does not exclude any kind of penal action or criminal action which may be related to this case please helppp!!!..i have lost a lot of money here..hiring lawyers..and alllnad my family is puting all its efforts in curing my dad..please suggest me on that..should i pay??..or should i wait till the court orders me to...???

You shouldn't enter a guilty plea or an alford plea. That would be lying, and in court proceedings that can result in criminal charges and then some.
    I would think you got an F1 status, your I-94 should read "for duration of status", meaning "for as long as you remain a student". If this is correct, they are not considering this a re-admission unless there's a status violation or in this case a conviction for a CIMT entered at the time of such admission.(Toro-Romero v. Ashcroft)
    You *should* be fine but if you have doubts, consult with an immigration attorney.

Your parents should be ok, no reason to think otherwise unless they were involved with the crime.

I'm not a lawyer, yet, so if you have doubts consult a qualified attorney.

Also, see if you can fix things up with the place you took from, this would avoid a formal conviction. Best of luck.