free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: renewing the Green Card Status For parents after some absence

n the unlikely event that Parents who are already permanent residents[Sixty plus and approaching sixty in not too many years] have to go back to their native country for some family related issues for some years, more than the number of years usually granted on a Re-Entry permit[Travel Document], and in the intervening time the Green Card lapses,will it be impossible for the only Child[American Citizen] to again restore the Green card for the parents after the requirement in their native country is completed and they can rejoin their child in America and how long it could take should it be possible to again restore the Green card?
    Would there have any known cases of this kind in the past purely for reference to the fact that such is possible?
    No one would like to jeopardize the possession of the Green card and also, one would think more than twice on the compelling need to go to the native country if it could mean that they could never expect the Green card to be restored to join their only child [say after three or four years later]settled in USA.
    Could anyone advise on this issue so that an informed decision could be taken on whether or not one should travel to the native country for the compelling Family matters for a period ranging from 3 to 4 years[ Say maximum]

n the unlikely event that Parents who are already permanent residents[Sixty plus and approaching sixty in not too many years] have to go back to their native country for some family related issues for some years, more than the number of years usually granted on a Re-Entry permit[Travel Document], and in the intervening time the Green Card lapses,will it be impossible for the only Child[American Citizen] to again restore the Green card for the parents after the requirement in their native country is completed and they can rejoin their child in America and how long it could take should it be possible to again restore the Green card?
    Would there have any known cases of this kind in the past purely for reference to the fact that such is possible?
    No one would like to jeopardize the possession of the Green card and also, one would think more than twice on the compelling need to go to the native country if it could mean that they could never expect the Green card to be restored to join their only child [say after three or four years later]settled in USA.
    Could anyone advise on this issue so that an informed decision could be taken on whether or not one should travel to the native country for the compelling Family matters for a period ranging from 3 to 4 years[ Say maximum]

Hi Old Monk and welcome back... looks like many thigs have happened since the last time...

I am not sure what you mean by "restore the Green card"... If one does not reside in the USA, the right thing to do is to abandon residency (see form I-407). If and when circumstences change and person wishes to return to the USA full time, he/she will have to be petitioned again. Just like the first time...

"Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process."
    http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/uscis/abandon.html

You can either re-apply for them, not the best way as you start again from the begining, or they can reapply on their own as SB-1 immigrants. That is self petitioning. However, they will need to be able to explain why and also explain why they will not do this again. Also, the embassy will check with Social Security to see if they were defrauding the government by living overseas on SSI etc. Same questions will be asked if you apply again for them as parents of a USC.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aneri:
    Hi!Thanks Aneri;
    I presume that as is often said we live and learn through the changing circumstances and the changing demands that come about with any new circumstances.
    But it does feel great to be able to talk to people on the Discussion Board and inquire on the different possible outcomes and whether or not to go through certain actions based on the responses received.
    It provides for a possibly a better way of deciding on the course of action that could ensure that one can perhaps avoid going wrong.
    The other issues that I was interested in getting to know was on
    1.Whether a fresh Affidavit of Support would have to accompany the Application as when the Card is due for renewal?
    2.How soon after the on-line filing of the Application,earliest being six Months before the Green Card Expiry Date can one get the Date for the Interview at local USISC office.
    3.What the process would be at the USISC office to facilitate Travel abroad before the new Card is Mailed?
    Regards,
    Old Monk
    ==============
    I am not sure what you mean by "restore the Green card"...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Old Monk:
    1.Whether a fresh Affidavit of Support would have to accompany the Application as when the Card is due for renewal?
    2.How soon after the on-line filing of the Application,earliest being six Months before the Green Card Expiry Date can one get the Date for the Interview at local USISC office.
    3.What the process would be at the USISC office to facilitate Travel abroad before the new Card is Mailed?
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    1. If you are talking about a 10-year Green Card renewal (because GC expires) Application, - no, there is no need for an Affidavit.
    2. There is no interview
    3. Get an I-551 stamp

If one has 10 year GC and lives in the USA, the reisdency does not terminate because GC expires...

Just we understand each other: I am not talking about GC renewal after one has been absent from USA for a period long enough to be considered that he/she abandoned residency in USA.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aneri:
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    1. If you are talking about a 10-year Green Card renewal (because GC expires) Application, - no, there is no need for an Affidavit.
    2. There is no interview
    3. Get an I-551 stamp
    If one has 10 year GC and lives in the USA, the reisdency does not terminate because GC expires...
    =========
    Exactly!I was referring to the renewal of the 10 Year Valid GC at the end of the 10 Year period and not on account of abandoning the Card.
    Thanks Again.
    That Clearly seems to explain all that is to be known- To get the Get an I-551 stamping.
    As regards the Time Interval for obtaining a Date to appear at the local USISC Office when Filing the Application for the GC renewal on-line is something I still need to know presuming that the stamping is done at the Local USISC office.
    Regards,
    Old Monk

If they were outside the U.S. for more than one year, then they cannot "renew" their greencards. They have abandoned their residence.

How long have they held PR status already? Why not apply for Citizenship if eligible (generally 5yrs as a PR). That way it won't matter how long they reside outside of the USA, they will have the right to re-enter at anytime. Only downside is they'll have to file taxes every year, even when living outside the USA.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

If they were outside the U.S. for a year or more or if they are living overseas they cannot apply for citizenship.