Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost passport

Hi,
    I lost my Passport, I94 and L2 Visa (pasted on one of the passport pages). My passport contans a valid L2 visa. Please provide me any suggestions that might help me. Luckily I have photo copies of my passport.
    1)How can I get a duplicate passport and how long will it take?
    2)Is it possible to replace my lost I94 while I am in US? How to get it and how long does it take?
    3)Is it also possible to replace the visa with in US? How to get it and how long does it take?

Are these really difficult?

I really appreciate any help? I am eagerly waiting for any replies on this message.
    Thank you very much.

Hi,
    I lost my Passport, I94 and L2 Visa (pasted on one of the passport pages). My passport contans a valid L2 visa. Please provide me any suggestions that might help me. Luckily I have photo copies of my passport.
    1)How can I get a duplicate passport and how long will it take?
    2)Is it possible to replace my lost I94 while I am in US? How to get it and how long does it take?
    3)Is it also possible to replace the visa with in US? How to get it and how long does it take?

Are these really difficult?

I really appreciate any help? I am eagerly waiting for any replies on this message.
    Thank you very much.

I don't have any comments or information to help you out - I am sure someone else will pitch in and answer your questions...

But I feel I should let you and others know something that is bothersome about what you mentioned in your post...

Did you (and others out there) know that it is ILLEGAL to photocopy a passport? I just thought I would mention that...

ARQU

saibaba, contact your embassy and inform them of your situation. they will tell you to get a police report and then submit an application with that report.

on the other queries...perhaps someone might help you..

good luck!
    Beware of small expenses. A small leak could sink a big ship.

Everyone tells to have a xerox copy of your passport.I just read on the embassy website about lost passport and they ask to submit a xerox copy. If it is illegal why would they ask for the copy?
    I am still waiting for any replies on the questions that I have posted

I should actually clarify my post. I can only comment on my own situation/experience.

When I was desperatly waiting for my renewal passport to come in so I could make a scheduled appointment with the INS, I asked the Canadian Goverment to FAX me a copy so I could take that to the meeting (they hadn't fedex'ed the replacement when they said they would). When I made that request - they almost died! They stressed - very clearly, and several times - that it was illegal to make any copy or other reproduction (ie: FAX) of any passport. They also indicated that even if I did have a copy in my possesion - it would not be acceptable for any use at all in any circumstances...

This could be just a Canadian law related to Canadian passports, I guess... I assumed it applied to all passports...

But this is a tangent that doesn't really apply to your question. Stay tuned - more help will come. (Do contact your embassy and file a police report ASAP!!!!!)

Good Luck!

ARQU

saibaba_hlp:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-102.htm

Follow the foregoing link and it will take to the form I-102 which is used to receive a copy of the I-94.

The fee is a rip-off [$100]...

To me, I think its good for you that you kept copy of the passport because with it, the embassy or US govt-state dept or BCIS can easily place a new visa on your passport.

Steps to follow:
    1.Contact your embassy ASAP and insist on getting new passport ASAP;

2.Contact the US embassy that issued visa likely via email and ask them about issuing replacement visa, since you said you have copies. If you have copy of visa, thats even better. If not, you can get the very long visa # from the paperwork for the job or paperwork for your spouse or the L1 holder.

to get the email for your embassy, go to the link:http://travel.state.gov/links.html and look for your country.

The visa will most likely be replaced here in the US or they will give you something in its place.

Lastly, what efforts are you taking to get the lost passport? Have you filed a police report in the area you lost it?

Have you considered that the person who finds can send it somewhere, depending on where you lost it? eg they send it to your embassy, local police station, etc.

Try all these things together and I know all be fine in a few months; dont stress too much coz that only makes it worse for you.

Canadian immigration handled to me copies of my passport when I was there. I dont think it's illegal to make copies...

Thank you very much for giving me the suggestions. I have filed the complaint with the police. They gave me a receipt. I also have contacted the embassy and gave my contact information incase they finds it. Embassy suggested me to wait for 10 days before filing for the new passport just incase someone mails it.I also have a copy of visa and I-94. So, I will file for the replacement ASAP. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Is it ok to stay legally in US while I file for the passport and visa replacement?

Thanks in advance.