Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guest Worker Plan Dead

Michael
    McCain Lacks Votes for Guest-Worker Plan
    Apr 04 12:39 PM US/Eastern

By SUZANNE GAMBOA
    Associated Press Writer
    WASHINGTON

Supporters of a guest worker program that would let illegal immigrants stay in the United States said Tuesday they don't have enough Senate votes to overcome objections from conservatives who oppose the measure on grounds it amounts to amnesty.

Michael
    McCain Lacks Votes for Guest-Worker Plan
    Apr 04 12:39 PM US/Eastern

By SUZANNE GAMBOA
    Associated Press Writer
    WASHINGTON

Supporters of a guest worker program that would let illegal immigrants stay in the United States said Tuesday they don't have enough Senate votes to overcome objections from conservatives who oppose the measure on grounds it amounts to amnesty.

Michael
    I blame the students that walked out of the classrooms and the people waving the Mexican flag and burning the American flag.

They broke our laws coming here, skipped school, embraced their homeland over America and showed that they don't love America. So what did they expect???

My elderly mother, a lifelong Democrat who served in the Navy during WWII, was royally p.o.'ed about the upside down flag and the marching--enough to write to her Congresspeople and a couple of others for the first time in her life

Michael
    If they want to save this; all 11 million illegals should start rallying and singing "God Bless America" and show their love for America by burning Mexican flags and beating up Moslems.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    LAND THAT I LOVE
    STAND BESIDE HER
    AND GUIDE HER

Michael
    I have friends from the Phillipines who were counting on this. Because of the stinking Mexicans their dreams are ruined. Mexicans are so stupid. Did they think that by rioting and disrespecting America, they would win over the hearts and minds of Americans? A month ago, this bill was certain to pass. Everyone backed it including the President. Now anyone who supports it supports violence and burning the American flag. Immigration opponents didnt have to do anything. Now the bill is dead and will never be considered again thanks to what these wetbacks did.

The most stubborn man in Senate, actually, is Kennedy.
    It was all too clear that his plan to give Green Cards to 12 million people wouldn't fly even in Senate, notwithstanding the House.
    The best way to kill a measure is to make it so disagreeable that no filibuster proof majority can be gained.
    In that sense, Senator Kennedy killed guest worker program (and it's a final verdict, unless he backs off and reaches the compromise along the lines of Sens. Kyl-Cornyn version of up to 5 years deferred departure with possibility of applying for GC from abroad).

As to some idiots who carried American flag upside-down and waved other countries flags - yes, definitely they are idiots, whatever their Nationality doesn't matter.
    I wonder where were the organizers?

Anyway, so far everything goes as I predicted and expected long ago.

Regards,
    IE

Michael
    Your predictions became true.

The only solution to our problesms is to Annex Mexico, Canada and the Phillipines, seize oil fields in South America and the mid-east, deport all French-Canadians blacks, and Msolems and launch a massive nuclear strike against all Moslem cities.

I don't think there is any alternative.

Michael
    Last weeks foolish demonstrations by Mexicans severely hurt the chances for immigration reform which would have benefited them. Instead of providing a guest worker program for all illegal immigrants, now it would be better and more feasible to create a program to legalize only "overstays". An argument can be made that overstays at least made a legal entry into the U.S.. This would benefit many people I know, of Philippine origin, who are hard working and pro-American. The United States has historical ties to the Philippines which would help this argument. They are not the kind to be waving the flag of their homeland and disrespecting the American flag. I hope Senator McCain considers this as an alternative.

Actually, the vocal opposition to McCain-Kennedy proposal comes from Sens. Cornyn and Kyl.
    In fact, latter's argumensts are not based on recent "flag wavings" nor were they swayed by any kind of demonstrations.

Neither Cornyn nor Kyl can be branded "extremist" or "too passionate anti-immigrant".

Both have sound judgement and appear to be decent men.

If you listened to what Sen. Kyl was saying during the SJC hearing, you would agree that he scored some logical and persuasive points.
    It is indeed possible that X years from now economy cools down.
    What are you going to do then with 12 million plus 400.000 multiplied by X yearsPERMANENT RESIDENT IMMIGRANTS? And what you will tell to US Citizens who will be competing with such an enormous and permanently remaining in country workforce?
    How can you argue against that?
    What are you going to tell Sen. Kyl?

It would be possible to reach the compromise with backers of Cornyn-Kyl version.
    If 5 years deferred departure is what it takes to pass the measure through Senate, then it should be agreed upon as being a better alternative to not passing anything at all.

And for Cornyn-Kyl proposal backers it would also make sense to make at least SOME compromise with those who back McCainKennedy vercion.

Finding that thin thread called a "COMPROMISE" is what it would take to pass the measure through Senate.
    Will Senators find it?
    They may, although I doubt.

But still, the biggest obstacle will be the House.
    It is next to impossible to imagine that House will allow for passage of massive Guest Worker program, even along Kyl-Cornyn version.
    Backers of Rep. Tancredo has long ago branded restrictive Cornyn-Kyl proposal a "massive amnesty in disguise".

Regards,
    IE