free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: B1, F1 question

Ok, I have a question:

So, for some introduction: I have a B (tourist) visa for a couple years now (it will expire sometimes 2012 or something). I had made several visits to the States, and never did anything illegal, just made visits. So, I'm doing my last year of studies in my home country, and I will earn my master degree this upcoming June, 2008. Then I plan to do my PhD studies in the States. I know that once I got accepted, I will have an I-20, and will be able to apply to student visa, that is F1. And I even read that with that visa (as a newcomer student) I can only enter the US 30 days before my school starts, but it seems too short for moving and all that. Now, could I enter to the US with my B tourist visa earlier (say 2 months before the school starts) and tell the officer that I'm going to be a student, he can see my F1 visa in my passport, I just need more time for the move. Or this wouldn't work? Do I loose my B visa as soon as I got an F1 visa in my passport? I'm a bit confused on this. Would the officer kick me out saying that I cannot enter as a tourist, and then start school with my F visa? Or how does this work?

Thank you for your reply in advance!

Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.

Ok, I have a question:

So, for some introduction: I have a B (tourist) visa for a couple years now (it will expire sometimes 2012 or something). I had made several visits to the States, and never did anything illegal, just made visits. So, I'm doing my last year of studies in my home country, and I will earn my master degree this upcoming June, 2008. Then I plan to do my PhD studies in the States. I know that once I got accepted, I will have an I-20, and will be able to apply to student visa, that is F1. And I even read that with that visa (as a newcomer student) I can only enter the US 30 days before my school starts, but it seems too short for moving and all that. Now, could I enter to the US with my B tourist visa earlier (say 2 months before the school starts) and tell the officer that I'm going to be a student, he can see my F1 visa in my passport, I just need more time for the move. Or this wouldn't work? Do I loose my B visa as soon as I got an F1 visa in my passport? I'm a bit confused on this. Would the officer kick me out saying that I cannot enter as a tourist, and then start school with my F visa? Or how does this work?

Thank you for your reply in advance!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeanine:
    Ok, I have a question:

Thank you for your reply in advance! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If you change visas, you will no longer be on a B visa but the F or J visa. I would look into the J visa if you are going to pursue a graduate degree, masters and/or Ph.D. You can adjust your status by filing a I-539 form if you are in the United States. It takes about 90 days to process so you need to make sure you do not violate the B visa time limits. You may have a problem entering into the country if you know you will adjust your status. If you tell the truth about the reasons why you entered the US, the customs officer may not let you in. If you lie, you may have trouble adjusting. So be careful.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

..I-20, and will be able to apply to student visa, that is F1. And I even read that with that visa (as a newcomer student) I can only enter the US 30 days before my school starts, but it seems too short for moving and all that.

I don't know the answer for the other things but in my case..I came in July 7th and school started on August 29th. They asked me why im coming so early (I had no idea at that point that I shouldn't come in here so early) and I told them the truth, that I need to take care of the housing, orientation and everything else concerning school. It seemed to be the right answer because they didnt give me any trouble at all.
    This was what I did.( My visa was F1 too)

Dear Hudson and Alira,

Thank you for your responses. I guess then I will just enter with my F1 visa so I don't have to deal with AOS within the US. But thank you though! And I will arrive only 30 days BEFORE the school starts....even though, you were lucky Alira I don't want to risk.
    Thank you again!