50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Poverty guidelines

We filed for my AOS in October.My husband only made $15,000 in last years tax return which is not enough as per the poverty guidelines.But in 2004 he made $19,000 which met the poverty guidelines but I guess that does not count.We recieved a RFE letter to send his proof of income right now which is not a problem because he makes 13.50 an hr right now so for 2006 we wil be fine. Do I still need to get a co-sponsor ?? Or will a letter from his employer this yr. do just fine? Does it matter how long he has been at this current job?
    AOS from F1 "overstay" to
    Sept.2004 Got hitched
    10/03/06 AOS packet mailed
    10.09.06 recieved
    10.16.06 Recieved NOAs
    10.18.06 all Touched
    10.19.06 I 765 Touched and Medical mailed
    10.24.06 recieved biometrics letter
    10.26.06 I 130 touched

We filed for my AOS in October.My husband only made $15,000 in last years tax return which is not enough as per the poverty guidelines.But in 2004 he made $19,000 which met the poverty guidelines but I guess that does not count.We recieved a RFE letter to send his proof of income right now which is not a problem because he makes 13.50 an hr right now so for 2006 we wil be fine. Do I still need to get a co-sponsor ?? Or will a letter from his employer this yr. do just fine? Does it matter how long he has been at this current job?
    AOS from F1 "overstay" to
    Sept.2004 Got hitched
    10/03/06 AOS packet mailed
    10.09.06 recieved
    10.16.06 Recieved NOAs
    10.18.06 all Touched
    10.19.06 I 765 Touched and Medical mailed
    10.24.06 recieved biometrics letter
    10.26.06 I 130 touched

HMMM that is tricky.....i think you should get a joint sponsor to be on a safe side and combined with your spouse income you should be fine.

It 's better to file copies for the last two years Income Tax Return, an original employment letter for your husband with the acctual wage and to be an a safe side is better to ask a relative to sign a Joint Sponsor form I-864.

All the best!
    Frank G. Becker & Associates
    www.USImmigrationForAll.com

I agree that you should get a joint sponsor. I'd like to add that the joint sponsor need not be a relative. It can be anyone who is a U.S. citizen or green card holder and who is willing to sign a separate I-864 on your behalf. Moreover, the joint sponsor's income must INDIVIDUALLY meet the poverty guideline, meaning it is NOT combined with your husband's income. For instance, if the joint sponsor has 2 dependents then s/he must INDEPENDENTLY meet the guideline for a 4-person household (the joint sponsor, 2 dependents and you). Best of luck!
    Anita Shia, Esq. has been practicing immigration law for nearly 10 years and is an active member of AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association). Based in New York and New Jersey, she nevertheless represents clients from all over the U.S. and abr