50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Millions illegals, how to process?

Thinking of the backlogged cases, I assume that alot of people who are currently backloggged would be able to take advantage of the "new Bill"

The purpose (besides many other points) is to give illegals who are in the US for more than five yrs a path to citizenship.
    In order to get on that "path" the alien need to send in an application, fine, proof of employment (3 out of 5 yrs), get fingerprinted, and have evaluated the backtaxes with the INS.
    Then the aliens status shall be adjusted to lawful permanent residency.

Thats how I read and understand the proposed bill?

So, it is basicly a copy of Clintons Life act (245i)? It allows you to file for adjustement of status and then after five yrs of permanent residency for citizenship?

Or, are they trying to circumnavigate the Green card and develope a new "lawful resident" card for this program? A Card that will allow the alien to step out of the shadow obtain a SSN and start working legally while waiting for the application to be processed in order to adjust the status? Like the Employment authorization documents while waiting for the I-485 to be authorized.

I'd assume the Congress is aware of the avalanche of workload that will be created with 10 millions people filling for adjustement of status?

Thinking of the backlogged cases, I assume that alot of people who are currently backloggged would be able to take advantage of the "new Bill"

The purpose (besides many other points) is to give illegals who are in the US for more than five yrs a path to citizenship.
    In order to get on that "path" the alien need to send in an application, fine, proof of employment (3 out of 5 yrs), get fingerprinted, and have evaluated the backtaxes with the INS.
    Then the aliens status shall be adjusted to lawful permanent residency.

Thats how I read and understand the proposed bill?

So, it is basicly a copy of Clintons Life act (245i)? It allows you to file for adjustement of status and then after five yrs of permanent residency for citizenship?

Or, are they trying to circumnavigate the Green card and develope a new "lawful resident" card for this program? A Card that will allow the alien to step out of the shadow obtain a SSN and start working legally while waiting for the application to be processed in order to adjust the status? Like the Employment authorization documents while waiting for the I-485 to be authorized.

I'd assume the Congress is aware of the avalanche of workload that will be created with 10 millions people filling for adjustement of status?

And what do you think/suggest to be done about 10 million people?

If , as you claim, it is not possible to even screen 10 million petitions, then how do you expect the Federal Government to actually apprehend, detain and deport 10 million individuals?

Or are you simply preferring Status Quo ("Can't deport, don't legalize") ?

IE

P.S. I hear the echo "Attrittion!... Attrition!... Attrition!..."

Antifascist1

I didn't suggest anything, I'm wondering about an efficient and logical way to accomplish the proposed bill if it becomes law.

We all know, deportation is a right wing dream. To expensive, nonpractical, bad for the economy and international relations.

I didn't claim that is "impossible" to screen 10 millions people. Please, read carefully.

My question is, how it will be done?
    I'm in favor of the propposed Bill.

Frankly I think these are good questions for DHS Secretary Chertoff and AG Gonzales.

I think couple of months ago Administration officials said that they are trying to eliminate backlogs at USCIS app. center by October, 2006 - in case if Guest Worker program passess into law.
    They also said to be prepared to handle the task.

I might be mistaken.... The backlog they are still trying to eliminate consisted of 750'000 cases, just employment based and this is the third year of processing?

My understanding is that there are two kinds of backlogs:

1. Backlogs Due to CAPs (you can't eliminate them at wish, but can only process as many as authorised per year)

2. Backlogs Due to overflow of cases (like USC spouse whose application is not subject to CAP, but can't be processed unless it reaches the desk of Officer in charge).

It is the latter kind of backlogs that DHS is trying to eliminate by October, 2006 (so far they were successful in improving various benefit processing times, TSC is particularly credited for speedy and efficient work).

OK.... we are talking about different agencies, sorry.

I was talking about the DOL backlog, your talking about the USCIS backlog due to a lack of VISA numbers (CAPS). My bad.

Nevertheless, under which category would you file your adjustement of status? In order to adjust your status you are subject to an available Visa. You would need to file under an employment based category, those Visas are all capped.

Or, they generate a new category for people who qualify for the 5 yr deal. But, this would not put you behind legal cases and in line, like the Senate suggets.
    This would make sense, tho.

You could file your application and you get EAD issued after fingerprinting. Therefore you qualify for a SSN and temporary legal status. When your application is worked on, you have to show proof of previous employment and pay of backtaxes. Then your Status gets adjusted to permanent resident and after five yrs you can apply for citizenship.

That would make sense.

If you are interested in particulars of the pending in Senate Bill, I suggest you to read the section by section analysis of Specter Bill on www.aila.org website, where they also have the latest updates of amendments made to it on the floor.

I know what I am talking about.
    Wish you the same.

Regards,
    IE

I know what I am talking about.
    Wish you the same.
    Are you trying to be a wise guy?

If you caught specific amendments, please share. I'm following the amendments too, couldn't find the answer to my questions, tho.