Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going after the attorney

Here's my situation:
    I am an American Citizen. Married my wife (non citizen) this past July. Went to an attorney in early September to set things into motion for a Green Card. The paper work was signed in early October.
    Waited 2 months, and no response from my attorney, or anyone else for that matter. My wife started doing some research and found out that we should have been receiving conformations and/or receipts from the INS.
    Another month passed by. The attorney was not getting back to us, so my wife decided to dig deeper into the matter. What she found out (after calling both another attorney and INS) that our case has never reached the INS (our file does not exist).
    We have come to the realization that we got screwed-over big time by our Attorney.
    Obviously I am going after my $$. But what else can I do? Both my wife and I lost 5 months in the whole process, her legal status has changed in the past month (if you know what I mean), and the worst part is the amount of LIES that were thrown at us by the Attorney and his paralegal.
    And the worst part is that we have to go through the whole process again
    Help
    Any insight would be grateful

Here's my situation:
    I am an American Citizen. Married my wife (non citizen) this past July. Went to an attorney in early September to set things into motion for a Green Card. The paper work was signed in early October.
    Waited 2 months, and no response from my attorney, or anyone else for that matter. My wife started doing some research and found out that we should have been receiving conformations and/or receipts from the INS.
    Another month passed by. The attorney was not getting back to us, so my wife decided to dig deeper into the matter. What she found out (after calling both another attorney and INS) that our case has never reached the INS (our file does not exist).
    We have come to the realization that we got screwed-over big time by our Attorney.
    Obviously I am going after my $$. But what else can I do? Both my wife and I lost 5 months in the whole process, her legal status has changed in the past month (if you know what I mean), and the worst part is the amount of LIES that were thrown at us by the Attorney and his paralegal.
    And the worst part is that we have to go through the whole process again
    Help
    Any insight would be grateful

You can file a grievance against the attorney -- there is a grievance commission in every state. Contact the State Bar of your state and they can direct you.

Do it yourself, less hassle than dealing with lawyers.

This is more common than you think, actually, it happens every day.
    It's very important to question the attorney on all important issues. Never limit yourself to one attorney, seek as many opinions as you can get. Ask for references, notorious cases, experience with arguments in front of the Court of Appeals.
    Credibility and professionalism can make all the difference when dealing with delicate situations. Fortunately, you are a U.S. citizen and your wife, despite of any short or long overstay, still qualifies (and will continue to qualify) for adjustment of status.
    Get yourself a better attorney and start over.
    This is not legal advice, contact a qualified attorney if you require legal help.

Doing it yourself is cheaper but risky. Some CIS adjudicators are not all that familiar with the law and mistakes are made, a reputable attorney can step in with a strong argument supported by a previous COA or BIA opinion to support your case.
    It's up to you but I would seek legal help; not any help but qualified and competent representation.

Contact your State Bar Assoc. - don't let him get away with it - you may get your money back. Continue with your application which you can do yourself. Maybe get the forms and documentation required - fill everything in - and have a competent attorney review your work - if you have concerns.

Asking an immigration attorney if they have practiced before the Court of Appeals is not the way to go. Maybe 1% of cases are chosen for **** argument -- and they are usually asylum or involve criminal charges. Just make sure the attorney has experience in whatever your case involves -- ie family based adjustment (these cases rarely go to court at any level -- let alone the COA). Also, when an attorney goes in for an interview and a problem arises, he/she likely does not go spouting off BIA/COA cases -- rely mostly on memos and regulations, not case law.

Someone12
    immigration attorneys have training in only one area - billable hours. All other considerations are secondary.

The best thing that you guys can do is to go back to her country an apply for the green card at the us embassy.