free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I130 - What is NVC process

OK so I received the i-797 approving the I-130 I applied for my wife - a Chinese Citizen.
    The whole thing will be sent to the NVC in Portsmouth, NH and they will contact her.

I was wondering, although they say allow 90 days in their letter, how long will this typically take?
    It seems they will not copy me on the letter. We are concerned the letter might get misdirected. Chinese postal system may be a bit unreliable.

How can I amend the mailing address or get notification?
    BTW I have never received any notification on anything from the USCIS automated web system, does it actually work?

Secondly, what is the NVC process? What kind of things will the interview (in China, presumably) involve?
    What kind of things do we need to prepare?
    How long after the interview is the visa / green card issued?

Thanks in advance - I have got a lot of help from these web boards.

Also, thanks to those of you who like to comment on fictional scenarios of their own creation. I particularly liked the bit about my wife sewing sheets for Wal-M*rt. Keep 'em coming
    Wolf. Right Here and Now

OK so I received the i-797 approving the I-130 I applied for my wife - a Chinese Citizen.
    The whole thing will be sent to the NVC in Portsmouth, NH and they will contact her.

I was wondering, although they say allow 90 days in their letter, how long will this typically take?
    It seems they will not copy me on the letter. We are concerned the letter might get misdirected. Chinese postal system may be a bit unreliable.

How can I amend the mailing address or get notification?
    BTW I have never received any notification on anything from the USCIS automated web system, does it actually work?

Secondly, what is the NVC process? What kind of things will the interview (in China, presumably) involve?
    What kind of things do we need to prepare?
    How long after the interview is the visa / green card issued?

Also, thanks to those of you who like to comment on fictional scenarios of their own creation. I particularly liked the bit about my wife sewing sheets for Wal-M*rt. Keep 'em coming
    Wolf. Right Here and Now

NVC will first contact you and ask you to pay $70 for affidavit of support. At the same time they will send letter to your wife to sign Choice of Agent letter. You will also get it. You can scan and send it to your wife and she can sign and scan signed letter and send back to you. You can then mail of fax this letter to NVC. She can chose you as her Agent and you will get all the letters and she will get copy.

Actually, the NVC will send a series of bills for their processing fees etc.

Having a look back at my time-line, NVC assigned case numbers within 2 weeks, then sent the choice of agent forms and generated the AoS bill about 2 weeks after that. We had a slight delay because my file got stuck in admin processing for 2 months, so my count on them sending the IV Fee is a little off and I didn't document when my sons got theirs, however the AoS instructions were sent on the same day as the IV fee (IV being immigrant visa).

At this point, everything is sent to you even though your wife needs to fill out the choice of agent form and the DS-230 Part 1, which comes after the IV Fee has been paid.

Once that DS-230 Part 1 is returned, the NVC will sign off on the case and then forward it to the Consulate. That's when your wife gets to take over.

They'll send her instructions on how to obtain the police check, medical exam as well as the DS-2001 with her biographical data. Once she's sent that back along with a slip she should've received to let them know she had all her documentation and was ready for the interview, they'll schedule it.

The time on that will vary as it depends on how busy the Consulate is - some countries will have a much higher caseload than others so it will take longer.

As far as the NVC goes, aside from that two months, most things averaged around 3 weeks.

I hope this helps, even though it sounds scary!
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

They may not accept scanned signatures so she may have to mail things back to you to forward on to the NVC.

We actually found a barcode creator and printed out the barcodes, so as soon as the paperwork arrived at my husbands, I filled out copies I'd downloaded from the USCIS site, attached the printed barcodes and sent them to my husband. It shaved a good couple of weeks off him having to mail things to me.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Wow - thanks for the input. This sounds so complicated ! I'll look into this DS-230 form.

And DS2001 ...

I really appreciate the help!

Thanks
    Wolf. Right Here and Now

NVC accepts scaned copy of at least of Choice of Agent letter. I did it for my mothe's case.

I also used scaned copy of DS-230, I. The reason is that Embassy or Consulate in the Country also sends the same form to fill again therefore, DS-230 also scaned work. My mother got visa last year and she is here. This make process little fater instead of dealing with mailing system.

We were told scanned wouldn't work, though they do also accept the choice of agent by email so I'm not surprised that one does.

I went through the process (me as the immigrant) last year as well and have been here 6 months.

Wolf, the DS-2001 goes directly to your wife in China, so no need to worry about that one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WolfRhan:

x x x

Also, thanks to those of you who like to comment on fictional scenarios of their own creation. I particularly liked the bit about my wife sewing sheets for Wal-M*rt. Keep 'em coming </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi WolfRhan,

Good to see that our members Tak and Aroha answered your questions.

As for that last paragraph, that's a cool answer WolfRHAN. I don't know who assumed that your wife sews for Wal-Mart - it's ridiculous how SOME here think that just because you got an immigrant wife, she is a lowly person, or worse, a lowlife. It may be that your wife is a very successful businesswoman or even an accomplished doctor or lawyer in her own right, but no, in their puny narrow-minded thinking, they just assume that. Some here pretend to be so wise or pretend to be against illegal aliens only, but in reality, they're anti-immigrants, anti-_____(fill in the blank - any country/race/ethnicity)
    Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley