free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Complex problem- looking for some advice

Hello,

I am an American Citizen, and my wife is Japanese. We are currently living apart as she does not have a visa and I have been called back to the USA for work. I understand that I need to apply for a visa for her, but that is not the main problem. She is also pregnant with our first child. I would like the child to be born here in the USA, and she would like it to be born here also, that and she wants to be with me for the birth of it. What can I do? I was thinking that the only option is to bring her in on a tourist visa and have the baby here. As I understand things a parent of a US citizen who is a minor gets residancy status correct?

Hello,

I am an American Citizen, and my wife is Japanese. We are currently living apart as she does not have a visa and I have been called back to the USA for work. I understand that I need to apply for a visa for her, but that is not the main problem. She is also pregnant with our first child. I would like the child to be born here in the USA, and she would like it to be born here also, that and she wants to be with me for the birth of it. What can I do? I was thinking that the only option is to bring her in on a tourist visa and have the baby here. As I understand things a parent of a US citizen who is a minor gets residancy status correct?

Wrong. Citizen child can't sponsor parent until it turns 21. It's you who can get your wife an immigration benefit, and you can always register the child as an American citizen overseas. It doesn't have to be born here to get citizenship. I would imagine, also (I'm not a lawyer) that lying about her intent in order to get a visitor's visa (which requires nonimmigrant intent) would complicate her adjustment of status.

I do not want it to be born here for citizenship purposes, I know that our child will be a dual citizen because we both are citizens of different countries. My wife has no desire to become an american citizen, we just want to be together for the birth of our child. Is there nothing we can do?

we just want to be together for the birth of our child
    If that is the only concern, then book a flight to Tokyo.

I am just looking for some advice on what to do, not for some troll's snide comments.

Cybrwzrd, there is a short and there is a long way to come to the same conclusion.
    I happen to agree with the answers you got so far.
    The only legal way to bring your wife to the US is to apply for immigration visa for her. With small miracles along the way (and depends where you live), it can hardly be done in less than 6 months. How's that compared to your wifes due date? Most women are not allowed to fly in late pregnancy.

She can try to enter on VWP ( Japan is part of the program, correct ?). She risks being denied entry and having to return to Japan. Incident like that would make any future process of obtaining green card more complicated. By using VWP, she waives her rights to plea her case.

Have you thought about the medical insurance for your wife in the US?

Here is one idea: check if the US embassy accepts direct fillings (I-130) from US citizens. If yes, what are the conditions. That would be the shortest way, but in that case, you would have to go to Japan to apply for your wife. Not all embassys do that. In some places it takes 2-3 weeke, in some 2 - 3 months ( more common).