publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: out of F1 status for more than 5months.

I have a few questions please. I have been out of F 1 status for 2yrs but still attending school and I graduate in December. I dont think my school would help me get OPT cause I am out of status. I want to go to grad school.

What can I do with myself? Can I ever be reinstated somehow? Would a compnay be able to file H 1 for me with out an OPT?

Is there ay hope?

I have a few questions please. I have been out of F 1 status for 2yrs but still attending school and I graduate in December. I dont think my school would help me get OPT cause I am out of status. I want to go to grad school.

What can I do with myself? Can I ever be reinstated somehow? Would a compnay be able to file H 1 for me with out an OPT?

Is there ay hope?

Congratulations on your pending graduation. However, if you're currently illegal, then your options for regaining legal status are severely limited.

I'm totally in support of highly-educated immigrants (we don't need more landscapers or busboys), but you should be aware of the consequences of having remained in the country illegally. Once you've accrued 180 days of illegal presence, any absence from the United States will result in an automatic bar of 3 years (10 years if the period of unauthorized stay exceeds 365 days).

I maybe wrong (mind you 2 yrs is long time), but I thought I read recently that if your F1 expires you are still legal here as long as you are still registered at school and doing your studies?

I also read that its only a problem when you want to leave the US and return it can cause problems.

I will see where I read it
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Here is something I read:

How long may I stay on my F-1 student visa?

When you enter the United States on a student visa, you will usually be admitted for the duration of your student status. That means you may stay as long as you are a full time student, even if the F-1 visa in your passport expires while you are in America. For a student who has completed the course of studies shown on the I-20, and any authorized practical training, the student is allowed the following additional time in the U.S. before departure:

* F-1 student - An additional 60 days, to prepare for departure from the U.S. or to transfer to another school.
    * M-1 student - An additional 30 days to depart the U.S. (Fixed time period, in total not to exceed one year). The 30 days to prepare for departure is permitted as long as the student maintained a full course of study and maintained status. An M student may receive extensions up to three years for the total program.

As an example regarding duration of status, if you have a visa that is valid for five years that will expire on January 1, 2001, and you are admitted into the U.S. for the duration of your studies (often abbreviated in your passport or on your I-94 card as "D/S"), you may stay in the U.S. as long as you are a full time student. Even if January 1, 2001 passes and your visa expires while in America, you will still be in legal student status. However, if you depart the U.S. with an expired visa, you will need to obtain a new one before being able to return to America and resume your studies. A student visa cannot be renewed or re-issued in the United States; it must be done at an Embassy or Consulate abroad.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Well, first, Worried25 has admitted to being out-of-status.

Even if the foreign student is allowed to remain enrolled in classes, if they break the terms of their F-1 visa, the school will report same using the SEVIS system. Unless the problem is resolved, the SEVIS system will find them to be out-of-status.

Once found to be out-of-status, a student's immigration-system options are somewhat limited.