50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Confused. Any advice?

My fiance is a Canadian citizen who left his job in Canada to live near me. When we went through customs upon leaving Canada the agent told him to be out of the country by March 31, 2007. She wrote on his visa "B-1 out by March 31, 2007." My fiance wants to attend university here and seek employment but we are not planning on getting married for another year.

Right now my fiance is living with my family members who are willing to help in any way they can. He is not a professional nor has he completed his undergrad. I have been doing research for the past 6 months and I seem to always get conflicting information.

We spoke to one lawyer who told us that he should change his status as soon as he can to maybe an F-1 and get a work permit. She also told us that he should NOT go back to Canada by March 31st and that even if he does stay over he will be fine as long as he does not get into trouble.

We are both young college students who just want to get the sorted out. We have started planning our wedding but we need to go through religious counsel(about a yr of it) before our marriage and we still want to be together. I also think I have it pretty clear that since he is a Canadian citizen he is not part of the visa waiver program and is therefore not ineligible for COS or AOS.

Anyone have any advice?

thanks for your time.

My fiance is a Canadian citizen who left his job in Canada to live near me. When we went through customs upon leaving Canada the agent told him to be out of the country by March 31, 2007. She wrote on his visa "B-1 out by March 31, 2007." My fiance wants to attend university here and seek employment but we are not planning on getting married for another year.

Right now my fiance is living with my family members who are willing to help in any way they can. He is not a professional nor has he completed his undergrad. I have been doing research for the past 6 months and I seem to always get conflicting information.

We spoke to one lawyer who told us that he should change his status as soon as he can to maybe an F-1 and get a work permit. She also told us that he should NOT go back to Canada by March 31st and that even if he does stay over he will be fine as long as he does not get into trouble.

We are both young college students who just want to get the sorted out. We have started planning our wedding but we need to go through religious counsel(about a yr of it) before our marriage and we still want to be together. I also think I have it pretty clear that since he is a Canadian citizen he is not part of the visa waiver program and is therefore not ineligible for COS or AOS.

Anyone have any advice?

thanks for your time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YatToPeach:
    When we went through customs upon leaving Canada the agent told him to be out of the country by March 31, 2007. She wrote on his visa "B-1 out by March 31, 2007." She also told us that he should NOT go back to Canada by March 31st and that even if he does stay over he will be fine as long as he does not get into trouble.

Anyone have any advice?

thanks for your time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    "Being all fashioned of the self-same dust let us be merciful as well as just"
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Sorry pushed the wrong button. ADVICE = Do not let your fiance overstay his Visa and fire the attorney who suggested that.

Two: Not regarding Immigration, life in general. Finish school and let him to the same before you get married. Your too young to be engaged and him leaving his life to follow you and potentially getting into immigration problems blinded by love, is not a good way to start out life.

He is a Canadian Citizen he can come and go freely for long period of time and the travel is relatively cheap. Why the drama?
    "Being all fashioned of the self-same dust let us be merciful as well as just"
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Yeah, I wasn't going to trust that attorney.

Well, my case with my fiance is different. I mean we are both 20 but there are just some factors tied in. I mean marriage would be about a yr or a little more away.

He came to the US on Dec. 20, 2005-Jan. 1, 2006, then June 28, 2006- Aug. 3, 2006, and when he came back on Jan. 1st of this year with me they gave him a very hard time getting into the country and many have told us that he might not get in if he goes back and tries again. I've been told that because he is a young male university student a red flag is raised because it doesn't make sense that he has the money to travel and stay away so much.

Also, he has Seasonal Affected Depression and he has tried light theraphy and all... he is only better when he's out of there...(even when he isn't with me)