50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: US Green card + Canadian PR

I have had a US green card since 1994, but have not been able to apply for citizenship yet. My USC husband and I have applied for Canadian PR and will probably be approved. If I get the Canadian PR do I have to give up the US Green card? I would rather keep the US Green card, but he wants to acquire the Canadian PR and he cannot do it without me turning over my passport to get the stamp at the same time that he gets his.

I am afraid that if a US immigration officer sees my Canadian PR stamp, I may have a difficult time re-entering the US, and even if that goes OK, I might have a hard time when I apply for naturalization.

Is there any way I can keep them both for another year by which time I intend to file for naturalization in the US? And, what might the consequences of acquiring Canadian PR be to my US immigration situation?

Thanks for any help.

I have had a US green card since 1994, but have not been able to apply for citizenship yet. My USC husband and I have applied for Canadian PR and will probably be approved. If I get the Canadian PR do I have to give up the US Green card? I would rather keep the US Green card, but he wants to acquire the Canadian PR and he cannot do it without me turning over my passport to get the stamp at the same time that he gets his.

I am afraid that if a US immigration officer sees my Canadian PR stamp, I may have a difficult time re-entering the US, and even if that goes OK, I might have a hard time when I apply for naturalization.

Is there any way I can keep them both for another year by which time I intend to file for naturalization in the US? And, what might the consequences of acquiring Canadian PR be to my US immigration situation?

Thanks for any help.

Your main problem is that you have to show residency in the US for at least 3 years. If you become a permanent resident of Canada, you reside in Canada and you cannot be a permanent resident or a citizen of the US.

You really need to talk to an immigration Lawyer.

Thanks for the response.

I would intend to land, and then immediately apply for an extension in Canada, and return to the US until after my US naturalization had been completed. So I would be residing in the US, not Canada.

as far as i know u can only have 1 pr legally...

sorry 4 the bad news...btw ur citizenship???

for more info u can find me at immigration.com

You really need to check about PR and citizenship. You cannot apply for American citizenship and then become a PR of Canada. Your American citizenship will be revoked because, in most cases, the American government does not accept dual citizenship. The only way you can tke American citizenship and keep your original citizenship is if the country of your original citizenship allows you to keep your citizenship. ie: if you are a Canadian citizen (by birth) and you take on American citizenship, you can be dual. If you are an American citizen and you take on Canadian citizenship - you cannot be dual. And in Canada, there are certain jobs (not only government jobs) you cannot qualify for if you are not a citizen.

What is your original citizenship.

Check with an immigration attorney.