50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: greeencard

I came here with Student Visa in 1996 then my mom who is green card holder apply for my green card. It was approved. I have been waiting since then. It was suppose to take 7yrs but they working on May 95 about more than a year now. I was lucky enough to apply for TPS (Temporary Protection Status). I'm allowed to travel outside in two months but not to my Native Country since I have TPS. I strongly feel that it will take even more time for my green card to arrive. I have been home sick, cause I have been here since 12 yrs old without most of my family here.
    1. My question is: Can I wait for my green card at my own country for remaining time????
    Lawyer told me it is okay since I have been in US legally and that all I have to do is change my address to my home country. Is this true????

I came here with Student Visa in 1996 then my mom who is green card holder apply for my green card. It was approved. I have been waiting since then. It was suppose to take 7yrs but they working on May 95 about more than a year now. I was lucky enough to apply for TPS (Temporary Protection Status). I'm allowed to travel outside in two months but not to my Native Country since I have TPS. I strongly feel that it will take even more time for my green card to arrive. I have been home sick, cause I have been here since 12 yrs old without most of my family here.
    1. My question is: Can I wait for my green card at my own country for remaining time????
    Lawyer told me it is okay since I have been in US legally and that all I have to do is change my address to my home country. Is this true????

Waiting for your greencard in your home country is not a problem. The question is if you go to your home country will you loose your TPS status? Can you travel to the U.S. without TPS status if you decide to return? The other question is why didn't your mother apply for citizenship? It would take a few years off your wait for a greencard.

I agree with Sup, if your mother becomes citizen then you won't be stuck in F2B. However what your priority date for F2B? Even though it is showing that they processing cases around May 95 but actually they are processing F2b cases around end of 1996.

My priority date is Oct 6,1996. Unfortunately, my mom does not speak English. My mom is elderly without education. The problem with TPS is that never seem to renew my papers on time, my license gets suspended and my work papers get expired. The lawyer said I'm going to lose my TPS and that I cannot enter country until my green card processing is ready. When the time comes I would have to go to my country Embassy showing the proof that I was in United State legally all the 14 years I was there. Is this true and is it possibly?
    Thank you in advance

Sup- what is F2B? Which date they actually working on?
    vivek, the laywer is saying that I have the right to get my greencard since I have been waiting so long, that once I go to Embassy in my country that they should give me visit visa.
    thanks again,
    I really appreciate all your help.