free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Issues

I am a USC, and my Brazilian wife just recieved her LPR status in December. We are now facing two issues:

1. Her 8YO daughter is still living in Brazil, with her grandmother. What is the quickest way that we could bring her to the US, and how quick is the quickest? We live in the Boston area, and thankfully the Vermont Service center is not as far behind as the others.

2. We have a baby due in September, and would like very much for my mother-in-law to visit about the time of the birth. Unfortunately, it seems that immigration is prejudiced against granting non-immigrant visas to LPRs, especially LPRs who acquired their status through marriage. She's already been denied a tourist visa - what recourse do we have, if any?

I am a USC, and my Brazilian wife just recieved her LPR status in December. We are now facing two issues:

1. Her 8YO daughter is still living in Brazil, with her grandmother. What is the quickest way that we could bring her to the US, and how quick is the quickest? We live in the Boston area, and thankfully the Vermont Service center is not as far behind as the others.

2. We have a baby due in September, and would like very much for my mother-in-law to visit about the time of the birth. Unfortunately, it seems that immigration is prejudiced against granting non-immigrant visas to LPRs, especially LPRs who acquired their status through marriage. She's already been denied a tourist visa - what recourse do we have, if any?

are you trying to say that I am selfish?

Originally posted by sethh:

2. We have a baby due in September, and would like very much for my mother-in-law to visit about the time of the birth. Unfortunately, it seems that immigration is prejudiced against granting non-immigrant visas to family members of LPRs, especially LPRs who acquired their status through marriage. She's already been denied a tourist visa - what recourse do we have, if any?

What is your relationship to 8 year old.
    Dose she have a birth certificate?
    Who is the father?
    After marriage have you adopted the child?
    When you file the papers for your wife with INS did you included her daughter in ?

Hi. To address the issue of a non-immingrant visa for your mother-in-law...

To the best of my understanding, the most important thing to demonstrate for a tourist visa is intent/reason to return.

This may become more difficult if your only family has become a resident of the United States (i.e. there is more of a chance that you will not abide by the terms of the tourist visa and that the person will overstay or adjust status or something to that effect.)

Therefore, when attempting to get the visa she should have things that show a strong intent to return, a job, a house/car in her name, close relatives that are not traveling with her, money in the bank or in an investment which cannot be brought with her to the USA, etc. etc. etc. In some situations even volunteer work can be helpful.

Every case is different, but the more things that she has in her name, and the more reasons that she has to return to Brazil, the more likely they are to issue her the visa!!!

A checking account is almost crucial!!!!

The above part was gleaned from a conversation with the embassy in Chile when I was trying to get a visa for a friend of mine (who never ended up being able to travel).

However, there are rumors of other things, such as prior experience traveling and returning... i.e. trips abroad (to other countries). Stamps in a persons passport may show that the person is accustomed to travelling and is likely to return. It also shows a history of abiding by visas, etc.

Some family members of my husbands that would like to travel to the states at some point, have begun to make trips to other south american countries (i.e. Venezuela, Peru, etc.) for a weekend or so. They are doing this in the hopes that it will not seem strange when they apply for a visa to the USA later.

they tried to pull this crap on my parents when they wanted to visit, grandkids, my wife and myself. Anyhow, their visitor visa was denied. We got a hold of a Senator, he faxed a letter to US ebassy in Ukraine and within 2 days I get a fax in my home office: we invide NAME GOES HERE to return and reapply for a visa. So my mom did and they granted her one, despite the fact it usually takes a year before one can reapply. Now that my parents both have been coming and going for years, they have 5-year visas so they can come and go as they please. In fact my fathers company did a job for US Consulate in Ukraine before he went for his first interview so it was not hard to prove ties for him in Ukraine, obviously won't just leave his own business which is doing good. Furthermore, when asked how they plan to support themselves in US, my parents each showed a Visa. I put a $10K limit and added each parent as an authorized user to my account. That way
    a) they can buy cheaper tickets
    b) have emergency funding option
    c) can prove to INS that they can survive (even if it is at my expense but I do not mind)

Good luck.
    ...Mistake Recognized is half corrected ...

long time here...

Thanks for that info. As of yet, I don't need it, but my husband is about to enter the USA as an LPR, so obviously we would like his family to visit at some point.

If for any reason they are denied under other circumstances, I will definitely use some of the suggestions that you have made (aside from my parents in law contracting themselves out to the embassy... I don't think that either one would be particularly needed there )

Anyway, thanks again for the ideas!

Adam,
    I am the stepfather. The biological father, who basically abandoned the family, was tracked down, and he did sign papers allowing her to leave the country. She has her passport and birth certificate, and when we filed my wifes papers, we did say that she had this daughter, though we did not indicate her intent to migrate, because at that time we did not have any of the above permissions or documentation.
    I have not adopted her, though I have considered it a possibility and have wondered what difference it would make

Thanks for showing support and interest!!!
    I know that everybody thinks differently, but let's ignore the negative comments and let's work on this project all together.

I need your help to let everybody know about this project.

Thanks man.