50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: friends in need of answers

I have a friend, married and from England living in the states truly very unhappy, would like to get divorced, but, he has a wonderful job that he has deicated himself to by educating himself and working hard. What are his opptions if he proceeds with divorce? We are close friends not in the physical sense, but a true friend and I want to see him happy, he is a good man, just in a bad situation. If you could please help me to help a friend I would appreciate it. Thank you Southern Angel

I have a friend, married and from England living in the states truly very unhappy, would like to get divorced, but, he has a wonderful job that he has deicated himself to by educating himself and working hard. What are his opptions if he proceeds with divorce? We are close friends not in the physical sense, but a true friend and I want to see him happy, he is a good man, just in a bad situation. If you could please help me to help a friend I would appreciate it. Thank you Southern Angel

What is his status? All will depend on where he is at in the immigration process...

ARQU

I know he has a green card and is an alien with rights to work here. He pays taxes jointly and has property.

It all depends on if his green card (GC) is a permanent (10 year) one or a conditional 2yr one (based on a marriage to a US Citizen (USC)).

Basically it goes like this... A person marries a USC, applies for a green card (Adjustment of Status otherwise called an AOS). They (and their spouse) are called in for an interview.

If all goes well at that time one of two things happens. If they had been married for two years at that time, he would get a 10yr GC. If it was less than two years, he would get a 2yr conditional GC.

If he got a 2yr conditional GC, he would then apply to remove conditions (I-751) 2 years later (from the date of the interview). Once that I-751 is all approved, he would then get his 10 yr GC...

So the answer to your question will totally depend on where he is at with all this. If he has a 10yr GC, then he can divorce or do whatever he wants. If it is a 2yr conditional GC, then he has a problem and there are several things that come into play...

Before I go ramble about the complexity of getting a divorce while holding a 2yr GC or waiting for an I-751 to be processed, do you know if that is what he has?

ARQU

ARQU already gave you all information but the board needs to know more details before they can help him out...good luck....give detailed info about he did he obtain green card...when ? and things like that ...did he get it through marriage ? if yes then is it conditional so far or permanent ? thanks ...good luck...Pasha

This is what I do know for sure. He married just over a year after arriving to this country, and had absolutly no money.So, I doubt there would have been any legal work done for him. He has been married for 24 years. So I am assuming he has a 10 GC. He also has a British passport and travels there for personal and business frequently. I'm sorry if I am not getting all the info one needs, but with every reply I will do more research. This is important, I think life is too short to be lived unhappy for anyone. Thank you for all your replies it is greatly appreciated.

If he has been here for 24 yrs and travels to Britan and so on, he must have a permanent (10yr) GC otherwise he would never get back into the country.

If that is indeed the case, then he can get divorced or whatever he pleases...

ARQU

Thank you so much ARQU for all your help ....