50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Reentry permit

I am working in Asia and therefore obtained a 2 year reentry permit for the 3rd time in January 2009 which will expire next month. However, I was in the US last month for vacation. In my previous experiences, the immigration officer confiscated my reentry permit at the port of entry but this time he gave it back to me. I have plans to visit family (parents, brother and sister who all live in the US) in March next year, which is 4 months after my last visit. However, my reentry permit would have expired by then.

My question is - When I travel to the US in March should I show my expired reentry permit or should I pretend (?) that I no longer have it? I've only been out of the States for 4 months since my last visit so I'm hoping that it's not an issue.

Would appreciate any good advice. Thank you.

I am working in Asia and therefore obtained a 2 year reentry permit for the 3rd time in January 2009 which will expire next month. However, I was in the US last month for vacation. In my previous experiences, the immigration officer confiscated my reentry permit at the port of entry but this time he gave it back to me. I have plans to visit family (parents, brother and sister who all live in the US) in March next year, which is 4 months after my last visit. However, my reentry permit would have expired by then.

My question is - When I travel to the US in March should I show my expired reentry permit or should I pretend (?) that I no longer have it? I've only been out of the States for 4 months since my last visit so I'm hoping that it's not an issue.

Would appreciate any good advice. Thank you.

You already know the answer to this question, so why are you playing coy?

Why don't you get a new reentry permit...if you're eligible for another one?

If you're not eligible for a new reentry permit (I'm not sure what the limit is), then it's time to return to live in America...if you want to remain a resident of this country.

The fact that your last self-acknowledged VISIT to the United States was for a VACATION last month says EVERYTHING.

A permanent resident of the United States is - SHOCK HORROR - supposed to live permanently in the United States.

Given that you do NOT live permanently in the United States means that you need a reentry permit.

A green card is not meant to be used as a glorified tourist visa!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by starkk:

Would appreciate any good advice. Thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You are going to need to get another reentry permit and show that your research is temporary in the country you are currently living.

This link will help you on your situation. Best of luck with you.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

A Re Entry permit does not absolve you of the need to maintain the US as you permanent residence. Sounds like you have been living on the edge for a long time.

Living on the edge? No, he is now an illegal alien. He has no status here. He is living outside the United States and has no intent of returning nor an unrelinquished residence in the U.S.

If you aren't living here, why the green card? Just get B-2 to visit.

he's not illegal and he does still have status. there is no automatic stripping of LPR upon suspicion that residencys been abandnd. you get to go before an immigration judge and show proof (if any) that you are still maintaining your us residency.

".....should I show my expired reentry permit or should I pretend (?) that I no longer have it?"

The key word in the question is "pretend." When one lies to the CBP officer at the border, then there should be no expectation for sympathy when caught at the lie, and getting caught in such falsehood will not go unnoticed by the immigration judge.

Someone12
    Yet you support the lies and the bee ess that illegals have used to gain admission to the US, so their brats can be rewarded via the DREAM Act??????? hmmm....I smell hypocrisy....

If his reentry permit is expired and he lives overseas, then he no longer is a legal permanent resident. He needs a SB1 immigrant visa to reenter the U.S.