50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Immigration Law Question: immigrant visa

hello am confused i was issued an immigrant visa expire in 1 month....what happens when i enter the us ....do i have to leave before it expires ...or i have to apply for a green card once am there

hello am confused i was issued an immigrant visa expire in 1 month....what happens when i enter the us ....do i have to leave before it expires ...or i have to apply for a green card once am there

If you have been issued an IMMIGRANT visa, then you must apply for entry to the United States before it expires.

At the port of entry, you will be processed for entry as a permanent (or conditional permanent) resident, and your passport will be stamped to show your status as a permanent resident.

Once admitted as a permanent resident, you're authorized to live and work permanently in the United States.

Your Permanent Resident Card (green card) will then be mailed to your address after a few months (you must advise USCIS of your address).

If you are a conditional permanent resident (married to a U.S. citizen for less than two years at the time of addmission as a permanent resident), then you will need to apply to remove the conditions twenty-one months after your admittance

I concur with SD. What you probably have is a temporary visa which allows you to enter the US as an immigrant. These are only valid for 6 months so if you can't travel to the US before it expires, you need to contact the Consulate and request an extension.

Once you arrive in the US, you will be processed (with your brown envelope) through secondary inspection and your green card will be mailed to you.

The exception would be if you're entering on a K visa, in which case you have 90 days after entering in which to marry and/or apply for an adjustment of status.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

The world's dumbest immigrant. And he will living here and retiring on welfare for Brit and Old moron to pay for.

Not necessarily, FedE. They don't always explain things very clearly. You regularly get two different responses to the same question from USCIS staff (if you're able to get to speak to one!) and finding clear and concise information online can be difficult. If English weren't your first language, it'd be even tougher to navigate.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch