50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Immigration Law Question: N-652

I just got back from my citizenship interview. During the interview the IO asked me of certified copies of my court dispositions. The Officer told me that he is not going to make a decision on my file today and he will review the certified dispositions this afternoon. He gave me a N-652 stating that the decision will come in the mail. Below is the brief summary of the dispositions I gave to the officer.

1992- 3 charges of Criminal tresspass. 1 charge of false name and obstruction of officer. Was sentence to 1 year of probation.

2005- possession charge was vacated and Nolle Pros

2006- Misdeamenor charge of drugs to be kept in original container. One year probation.

For the last 5 years, no problems.

What are the chances of a negative result. How long is it going to take to receive a decision?

I just got back from my citizenship interview. During the interview the IO asked me of certified copies of my court dispositions. The Officer told me that he is not going to make a decision on my file today and he will review the certified dispositions this afternoon. He gave me a N-652 stating that the decision will come in the mail. Below is the brief summary of the dispositions I gave to the officer.

1992- 3 charges of Criminal tresspass. 1 charge of false name and obstruction of officer. Was sentence to 1 year of probation.

2005- possession charge was vacated and Nolle Pros

2006- Misdeamenor charge of drugs to be kept in original container. One year probation.

For the last 5 years, no problems.

What are the chances of a negative result. How long is it going to take to receive a decision?

Immigration has a different set of standards. The arrest and the charge are what counts, not whether you were convicted or not. They can deny on anything over 5 years if they believe you are not of good moral character. If anything, it'll be the drug charges that may come back to bite you, first due to the nature and second because they're pretty much right on the cusp of the 5 years.

If you haven't already, you should talk to a reputable immigration attorney. They will usually offer a free consultation.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

I do have an reputable attorney who filed the paperwork and was present at the interview. He told me that it's not the charges that matter but rather what the conviction was for. As far as the vacated charge is concerned, it was not for the purposes of immigration but rather ineffective assistance of counsel based on Padilla vs. Kentucky. I understand that they can go beyond 5 years but according to some cases that i have read they are not allowed to deny the case only on the actions beyond 5 years unless its aggravated felonies or murder.

I just want to know if anybody else who was issued a N-652 after the interview and how long did it take to receive a decision. And what was the decision.