free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help anyone

i am a us citizen that is engaged to a wonderfull women , today we went to get our marriage license , my question is this , does she have to change her name at the time that we are getting the marriage license or she can do it later , the reason is that i am going to petition for her this mid october and was wondering that if it would be a problem if on the marriage certificate her name remain the same or should she change it ? so please let me know what should we do thx once again to all

i am a us citizen that is engaged to a wonderfull women , today we went to get our marriage license , my question is this , does she have to change her name at the time that we are getting the marriage license or she can do it later , the reason is that i am going to petition for her this mid october and was wondering that if it would be a problem if on the marriage certificate her name remain the same or should she change it ? so please let me know what should we do thx once again to all

My advice to you would be have her name changed when you are married.
    Once you have filled out forms with USCIS, if you want to change her name later on, believe me they can make mistakes.
    It is so much easier if she has everything changed to her married name, including passport and all necessary papers. If all her ID"s don't match she could also come across problems in the US, (like I did) so please take my advice and have her name changed upon marriage.
    Or you could take her name
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Ok I am not sure if I got it right..you are already married?
    If its too late to change her name right now, yes she can change her name later as long as its before getting the Green card, because after that its difficult to get name changed on everything.
    My advice though would be still have her change her name to her married name before you petition for her, it saves a lot of complications down the road.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thx for your reply , we are engaged but today we were at the city clerk getting our marriage license i think that we left the surname as her maiden name , so by what you said it will be a problem right ? we planned to get married next week , so the name change will happen at the ceremony or should we have done that while we were filing the marriage license . i'm jst alittle confuse , tell me what u think , thx

Oh Im sorry..someone else will need to answer that. I wasn't married in the US and not sure how they do things here.
    In my country the name gets changed once you are married and sign the register, which you then get a marriage certificate with new name one it.

So hopefully someone will come by and give you that answer.

Hope you have a lovely wedding day

thk you , so can anyone else on here help a little , here's another question . like i said before i plan to petition for her , i read on the uscis site , and it said that i will have to file :
    i-130
    i-485
    g-325
    i-765 and anothe rone for the income , but i read on the uscis website that if you filling a i-485 and a i-765 you do not need to pay for the fees of the i-765 , am i getting this right ?

here's the citation : Special Instructions
    If you filed a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, on July 30, 2007, or after, then no fee is required to file a request for advance parole on Form I-131 and/or employment authorization on Form I-765. You may file the I-131 and I-765 concurrently with your I-485, or you may submit the I-131 and/or I-765 at a later date. If you file Form I-131 and/or I-765 separately, you must also submit a copy of the receipt for your Form I-797C, Notice of Action, as evidence of the filing of an I-485.:

is this correct , no fee for i-765 is filled i-485 ?

i will be waiting for any reply , thx in advance

Newguy, you might have to wait until the morning, some great posters on here will be able to help you with these answers.

Don't forget to check back then

All the best

unlike in most countries, in USA one doesn't declare during the ceremony which last name will use after the marriage.
    The marriage license should be issued in bride's maiden name. Marriage certificate will be in the maiden name as well.
    After the marriage, if one party (or both) wants to change the last name, he/she should go to the SS office with the marriage certificate and ask for name change in connection with SSN. Once, he/she has a new SS card in married name, all documents could and should be changed. And you use married name on USCIS forms.... Well that's how it was in my State, a few years back.

Yes, now a fee for I-485 includes employment authorisation document and advance parole.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">unlike in most countries, in USA one doesn't declare during the ceremony which last name will use after the marriage.
    The marriage license should be issued in bride's maiden name. Marriage certificate will be in the maiden name as well.
    After the marriage, if one party (or both) wants to change the last name, he/she should go to the SS office with the marriage certificate and ask for name change in connection with SSN. Once, he/she has a new SS card in married name, all documents could and should be changed. And you use married name on USCIS forms.... Well that's how it was in my State, a few years back.

Yes, now a fee for I-485 includes employment authorisation document and advance parole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thx Aneri , so that mean that the license is made with her maiden name than once she received the marriage certificate she has to go to the SSA to have her name change but all form that we will sent to the uscis have to be file with the new name meaning her married name , am i getting this right ? thx in advance for all reply