free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on I-751

Hi. My resident card will expire on Feb 6, 2008. I will send out I-751 tomorrow. I know that on average, it will take four weeks to receive a receipt from USCIS. I called USCIS today and they told me due to heavye workload I WILL have a gap between my expiration date and the date I receive a letter to extend my visa.

What is the average time to get a receipt? (I am in S.F. California). Can I continue to work during the gap? Thanks.

Hi. My resident card will expire on Feb 6, 2008. I will send out I-751 tomorrow. I know that on average, it will take four weeks to receive a receipt from USCIS. I called USCIS today and they told me due to heavye workload I WILL have a gap between my expiration date and the date I receive a letter to extend my visa.

What is the average time to get a receipt? (I am in S.F. California). Can I continue to work during the gap? Thanks.

hi hyw how are you . well first, dont call the 800# again and dont believe a word that they said ok.. just make sure when you file it to send it registered mail . so you will have proof that u send it on time and plus whenever they recieve the file, whatever officer recieve the file will have to sighn a little card and u will get that in mail too ,so you will know that they recieved it for sure. and actually it's not ur problim how long will take to get ur reciept , u must file on time and this is the only thing u should care about ,so no worry for how long is it going to take ,and no one can answer that question for you anyway bcoz no one know's ho long it will take to get the reciept ,,lately some ppl have waited 3 months and nothing yet and some others recieved the first NOA in 2 weeks only ,so u never know but this is not an issue , i will say 3-4 weeks ,but you never know,,i filed an i-751 last week and still waiting ...so dont worry

i will say yes you can ,you dont have to mention it, but just in case if they ask you ,,keep the return card u will get in mail as proof that you filed it.

and actually if u file it now ,you will still have time until feb 6th ...hopefully you will recieve ur reciept by then

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyw:

What is the average time to get a receipt? (I am in S.F. California). Can I continue to work during the gap? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You did not follow proper procedure. You were told to file form i-751 90 days prior to your card expiring. This would have been enough time to process the receipt so you would not be without documentation of your status. Now you understand that this is the reason ...
    Most likely You will have a gap from receiving it. USCIS is overloaded as they told you.

No you will not have to stop working etc. you will not be able to apply for anything or travel because you do not have the extension letter.

No speculation on when you will receive the extension letter.. as you have been told that the service is overextended right now due to the forms price increase in July.

Thanks 4now for your reply. What do you mean by "You will not have to stop working?" If I have a gap, do I still have legal work status? I've told my human resource dept about my situation and the manager told me they might take me off from the payroll and they will have to talk to the company's immigration lawyer. I am concerned that the gap will affect my work.

no hyw u dont have to stop working bcoz ur legal and plus ur about to file even though u waited for the last moment . when the i-751 gets denied that whe u cann't work anymore, but ur ststus is still valid so u dont have to stop working and iam sure this will be the attorney's answer.just file it as soon as possible . and as i said previously just keep the card u will recieve in mail .bcoz this will proof that u filed it and the atorney know's once u file the i-751 ur status will be automatically extended for 12 more months

Mike
    Thanks for your reply. Oops I had told my HR my situation. I should not have mentioned it to them? I thought it was good to tell them the truth. Oh no I was not thinking straight! Hope I can continue my work without a problem.

thanks for your reply. Good luck to both of us!