free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS card

Can anybody let us know how does one receive his/her Social security Card once legally admitted into the US and how long does it take?
    During the submission of DS-2032 forms to the embassy,I was asked to apply for the same by checking a box.

Can anybody let us know how does one receive his/her Social security Card once legally admitted into the US and how long does it take?
    During the submission of DS-2032 forms to the embassy,I was asked to apply for the same by checking a box.

After arrival visit local Social Security office and apply for the card. Have ID with proof of permanent residency.

You can not get a Social Security card unless you have valid employment authorization AND a job.

Gone are the days when they gave out SS#'s to anyone upon request.

Assuming that Mus meant Form DS-230 Part II (not DS-2032), he/she will be arriving as a permanent resident with inherent authorization to work and entitlement to SSN.

You do not need a job to get a SS card. But you need to be a legal alien. Now they have more strict rules but I got mine in mail within 14 days. How I did it - I went to SS branch office, I filled the application and I proved my identity with my passport (in which I had my immigrant visa stamped by the port of entry = equal to green card). That as all, no problems occured.
    P.S. I also checked the box at the embassy (I filled the same form as you) but nothing happened for 5 months so I filled my application separately. Than I called the SS hotline and they told me better to go to the branch office - this was the way to go.
    Good luck!!!
    さん,がんばれ!

I believe this is the difference in our interpreations:

An alien admitted as an immigrant is eligible to recieve an SS card without a job and can apply for one as soon as they enter the U.S. or obtain the green card. I am not sure about the period in which they are pending and get an EAD.

An alien in non-immigrant status must have employment authorization AND a job offer in order to obtain an SS number.

AND a job offer
    Sugarpuff, could you be so kind to give a reference for the above?

Thank you for the link, Sugarpuff. The job offer appears to be required only for F-1 students employed on campus. For others, EAD is sufficient. Correct me if I am wrong (with reference, of course).