50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Taxes

How would someone file a joint tax return with their married partner if they are still awaiting for their I130 and I485 to be accepted but have a alien registration number. Is a W7 adequate to accompany the tax return? Both are resident in the USA, one being a born USC the other a European immigrant? if that makes a difference or not.

How would someone file a joint tax return with their married partner if they are still awaiting for their I130 and I485 to be accepted but have a alien registration number. Is a W7 adequate to accompany the tax return? Both are resident in the USA, one being a born USC the other a European immigrant? if that makes a difference or not.

For a joint return, you will need both your social security numbers. But, if one is an immigrant and has not a social security number yet, he/she needs a tax indentification number.
    W7 is the right form for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ntfd3:
    How would someone file a joint tax return with their married partner if they are still awaiting for their I130 and I485 to be accepted but have a alien registration number. Is a W7 adequate to accompany the tax return? Both are resident in the USA, one being a born USC the other a European immigrant? if that makes a difference or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If your spouse is not eligible for a SSN, Social Security Number, you then file a form W-7 with your return. The W-7 is an application for Individual Tax Identification Number. You would mark box 1e and complete the all the pertinent information. You will also need to supply supporting documentation to prove her identity such as a passport. I would not recommend to send originals, but a notarized copy of her passport. She will use this until she obtains her SSN which she would send info to the IRS to change the TIN on record. The process time is 4-6 weeks and another 8 weeks for the return. For more info, please see http://www.irs.gov
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

You will have to go to the IRS and get an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer ID Number). That is all!
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire