ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Is an overstay forgiven forever by AOS

  1. #1
    A man married an USC in 1999, after entering the US in 1998 on B1 visa and overstaying a little over a year, applyed for AOS and received conditional GC in 2000. Successfully removed conditions in 2003. Divorced and left the US in 2005.
    The present job requires him to travel to the US in near future. Does he have a 10 year bar or was his overstay from 1998/1999 forgiven and forgotten at the time of AOS?

    He is going to apply for B1/B2 visa next month.

  2. #2
    What happened to the green card? Has he abandoned it?

  3. #3
    His overstay is forgiven the moment his AOS is approved.
    Why does he need a B1/B2? If he got his GC in 2000 and left in 2005, won't his GC still be valid? He doesn't even need a reentry permit unless he left in in January/February 2005.

  4. #4
    If he enters on a visitor visa instead of the green card won't that be considered an abandonment of PR status?

    I remember a recent poster who entered on vistor visa because he "forgot" his green card. And despite having lived in the U.S. for a number of years is now stuck outside of the U.S. applying for another green card via consular processing.

    I don't know if that poster ever gave us all the facts but I am pretty sure that if you enter on a vistor visa as a permanent resident you are committing an illegal entry

  5. #5
    An overstay is not a bar to AOS based on immediate relative status. Since INA specifically lifts this bar for immediate relatives of citizens, it is not considered a negative factor (by itself) for adjudication purposes.
    The overstay is irrelevant for AOS purposes, one year or ten years, it does not matter.
    However, if the person is trying to leave the United States before approval of AOS the 10 year ban will be applied. No advance parole document is going to prevent this from happening.
    This is not legal advice, if you require legal help contact an attorney.

  6. #6
    If the person is already a conditional resident he or she is statutory ineligible for a non-immigrant visa. Upon approval of AOS, the person becomes an immigrant. An LPR can adjust status back to non-immigrant under certain circumstances and it's only then when the person could qualify for a B-type visa. Trying to enter on a B visa will be considered, at the very least, a material misrepresentation and will create a world of problems for the applicant. The alien could also be charged with fraud and misuse of a visa under the U.S.C. because a documented immigrant is trying to pass as a non-immigrant (fraudulent conduct). This is no misdemeanor but a full blown felony offense under federal law.
    Consult with an attorney if you require legal help.

  7. #7
    sorry I left out the important information: He officialy abandoned his residency by returning GC in the embassy.

  8. #8
    ...and while not important for the above case, I wanted to point out that, under some circumstances, entering the US on visitor visa does not negate someones permanent resident status.

    "9 FAM 42.22 N10 Visitor Visa Issuance Not Relinquishment of Resident Status
    a. An alien is not ineligible for classification as a returning resident alien solely because the alien was previously issued a visitor visa during a stay abroad as a matter of convenience when time did not permit the alien to obtain a returning resident visa. [See also 9 FAM 41.31 N12.]

    b. For example, a permanent resident alien is temporarily assigned abroad but employed by a U.S. corporation. The alien has been outside the United States for more than one year and thus may not return to the United States using the Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card. The alien has never relinquished permanent residence in the United States; has continued to pay U.S. income taxes; and perhaps even maintains a home in the United States. The fact that the alien was issued a nonimmigrant visa for the purpose of making an urgent business trip would not reflect negatively on the retention of resident status.

    c. The consular officer shall not require a visa applicant to relinquish the Form I-551, as a condition to immigrant or nonimmigrant visa issuance."

  9. #9
    d u m b a s s. Why return his greencard to the embassy?

    Stupidity by default should not be forgiven ....ever.

  10. #10
    thanks to everybody who tryed to help. sorry for the missing info about abandoning GC. Any more thoughts?

    Marasmus: What is the right thing to do if one permanently moves to another country and occasionally visits the US? not everybody wants to live in the US forever.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 11:55 PM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
  3. Definition of 245 during AOS with Overstay!
    By Mo in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 11:28 AM
  4. 12 year-olddaughter overstay, would like to AOS
    By in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-18-2003, 07:59 AM
  5. Marriage: Forgiven Immigration Violations
    By in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2003, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: