50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Major immigration problem

Hi, I hope someone can give me some help with my problem. My fiance and I met in the US where he lives. I am British. He was born in Scotland so he is also a British citizen with a green card for America. He moved to America when he was 8 years old and his dad is also an American citizen. He wants us to live in America and that is what we decided to do. He went to a local immigration office yesterday and the lady told him that he would have to become an American Citizen which is fine but it is going to take at least 3 YEARS. Then my fiance visa will take a further 3 years!! We knew it would be difficult but that was just so unexpected. We are sick of living apart and can't bear to be apart for so long. Does anyone know if this sort of time scale is correct or does anyone have any ideas of what we can do.
    Sorry, it's so long but I am just so upset about it and really need to let off steam about it.

Hi, I hope someone can give me some help with my problem. My fiance and I met in the US where he lives. I am British. He was born in Scotland so he is also a British citizen with a green card for America. He moved to America when he was 8 years old and his dad is also an American citizen. He wants us to live in America and that is what we decided to do. He went to a local immigration office yesterday and the lady told him that he would have to become an American Citizen which is fine but it is going to take at least 3 YEARS. Then my fiance visa will take a further 3 years!! We knew it would be difficult but that was just so unexpected. We are sick of living apart and can't bear to be apart for so long. Does anyone know if this sort of time scale is correct or does anyone have any ideas of what we can do.
    Sorry, it's so long but I am just so upset about it and really need to let off steam about it.

Generally, the timeline is correct, except that it would probably take less than 3 years for your fiance to obtain U.S. citizenship. Unfortunately, just with a green card, even marrying him will put you in a very low priority category.

"He moved to America when he was 8 years old and his dad is also an American citizen."

If he's dad was a USC at birth....he may qualify for a US PASSPORT throught the Dep't of State and therefore bypassing the dreaded BCIS (immigration agency).

If he's dad was indeed a US citizen at the time of your boyfriends birth and he's dad has met physical residency requirements......he may already be a USC automatically. This will enable you all to be together sooner.

Myabe you can get a visa on your own, such as a student or work visa, so you can be together while your husband is waiting for his citizhip. Once he gets it, you could marry and adjust status.
    Have a nice day

Linzee,
    I am faced with the same problem. I am British and hold a green card and I am trying to bring my wife here from China. It looks at best 2 years for a visa minimum if all goes well.

It'd be great if he could become a citizen faster, as NP said... Once he is a citizen it won't take 3 years for a fiancee visa, surely? I've never heard of that. Usually a fiancee visa is anywhere from 3-12 months.

Discuss with an attorney. he/she should be able to help you out in these circumstances. I hope there is a better way. Good luck.......

yeah, timeline is correct.
    3 years.
    ace101, sorry for reply on the other thread. i thought u were usc.

Good luck guys.