50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Help!

Hello, I am new to this board and am looking for some help. My father is a Canadian citizen who has been living and working in California for 25 years. He had the proper visa requirements for the first 18 years, but allowed the visa to lapse 8 years ago (he was 62 at the time, and starting to suffer from alzheimers disease and simply forgot). He continued to work until just recently (neither his work nor the gov't asked for proof of visa), and has now retired. He needs medical attention for a heart problem(he has a pacemaker) and for the alzheimers. He is being denied any medical help, and being denied any type of pension...........even though he paid into it for 25 years!
    Is this the American way? It just doesn't seem right. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Hello, I am new to this board and am looking for some help. My father is a Canadian citizen who has been living and working in California for 25 years. He had the proper visa requirements for the first 18 years, but allowed the visa to lapse 8 years ago (he was 62 at the time, and starting to suffer from alzheimers disease and simply forgot). He continued to work until just recently (neither his work nor the gov't asked for proof of visa), and has now retired. He needs medical attention for a heart problem(he has a pacemaker) and for the alzheimers. He is being denied any medical help, and being denied any type of pension...........even though he paid into it for 25 years!
    Is this the American way? It just doesn't seem right. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Who is denying the medical help? That is strange, because doctors do not ask for Visa or status when treating a patient. I think they are not even allowed to ask. If he paid into the system, he has a social security card, that is all they are concerned with.
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Kollerkrot, When I meant denied any medical help I meant medicare. He could go in for the surgery, but would have no way of ever paying for it (and they refuse to go into a debt they can't manage). The meds he is on (for the heart problem) have eaten up their savings.
    They can go back to Canada, but at 70 years old and without employment I doubt they would be allowed back into the US.
    Doesn't he have a right to some form of pension from what he put into the system for 25 years?
    Sorry if I seem to be jumping all over the place, after sitting down with my parents last night I feel like I've been run over by a truck.

Hi Hadley,

I've been searching for answers to your question, but have come up blank so far. I am hoping others here might know the answer to this. Doesn't seem fair if he paid into Social Security for the 18 years he worked here legally, he can't get any benefit because of his status. I'm afraid that's what the answer will be, though. Have you discussed this with an immigration attorney at all? Just curious what they would have to say. Good luck to you and your family!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hadleydog:
    Kollerkrot, When I meant denied any medical help I meant medicare. He could go in for the surgery, but would have no way of ever paying for it (and they refuse to go into a debt they can't manage). The meds he is on (for the heart problem) have eaten up their savings.
    They can go back to Canada, but at 70 years old and without employment I doubt they would be allowed back into the US.
    Doesn't he have a right to some form of pension from what he put into the system for 25 years?
    Sorry if I seem to be jumping all over the place, after sitting down with my parents last night I feel like I've been run over by a truck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello hadly

He would not be allowed back anyway to usa if he goes home. He has a 10 year bar because he is illegal here and so is your mother unless she is a usc. Are you a usc, or are you illegal also?

Please bring us some facts about the original visa that was issued and what type of visa. Some time lines (why the visa was not renewed for real) etc. status of yourself and mother.

Then we can try to figure out something or a solution for your parents and yourself.

Hi Hadley,

I came across this site for you, Canadians abroad.
    It doesn't give all your answers you are looking for but it does mention pension and some treaty the USA and Canada have regarding SS benefits etc..

I am giving a link to a post on that forum for you to read, it might give some useful information.
    It might be a good forum too, to ask some of your questions you have posted here, as some might have been in the same situation as your father.
    It is worth a look anyhow.

Canadians abroad

All the best
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

1. What kind of Visa do you think he had? If he is a permanent resident, his status does not expire. Just the card.
    2. Have you spoken to a lawyer? He has been here long enough - he may be able to file for citizenship.
    3. I is very odd that he does not qualify for SS or Medicare. Has he actually applied - where is the rest of his retirement.

Are you telling the whole story?