free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Q ??? for Pasha Patel, Mohan and all Indians on ILW

Hello Friends,
    Well just in 10 days I am leaving for Bombay, India My question is regarding Indian customs. I am planning on taking my laptop. Now would I have to pay duty on it? After all I am coming back to the US. By the way how do I prove that I will be taking the laptop back to the US? A return ticket proves I am leaving does not mean laptop leaves with me am I right? Can anyone please tell me how to handle this situation? Also since I will be in Bombay for 55 days how do I recharge the battery on laptop? Do I need a special adapter? The electricity system and plugs are different in India. Any ideas friends. As always thank you so much for your advice and help.

Raju
    Ps: Also can you guys please advise what to take and what not to take to avoid harassment by the Indian customs agents in Bombay. Please share your experience. Thank you

Hello Friends,
    Well just in 10 days I am leaving for Bombay, India My question is regarding Indian customs. I am planning on taking my laptop. Now would I have to pay duty on it? After all I am coming back to the US. By the way how do I prove that I will be taking the laptop back to the US? A return ticket proves I am leaving does not mean laptop leaves with me am I right? Can anyone please tell me how to handle this situation? Also since I will be in Bombay for 55 days how do I recharge the battery on laptop? Do I need a special adapter? The electricity system and plugs are different in India. Any ideas friends. As always thank you so much for your advice and help.

Raju
    Ps: Also can you guys please advise what to take and what not to take to avoid harassment by the Indian customs agents in Bombay. Please share your experience. Thank you

you can take laptop with you and if you are bringing back you can endorsed it on your passport. while coming back custom will ask you for the lap top and if you have in possession you will be allowed to go if not then you have to pay duty while coming...
    Normally no one cares for laptop these days.
    Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Hi Raju...

You can take one laptop as personal belonging without any problem... I recently sent a laptop with my relatives to India for my brother... didn't have any problem... to educate urself about custom and excise rules of India visit this government website...good luck...Pasha

http://www.cbec.gov.in/cae/trvlers-info.htm

usually all laptops have 110 240 V interphase so voltage shouldn't be a problem though u will have to buy plug-in which will make the wire plug suitable for electric outlet in India, which can be purchased as any general electric store over there oh here in walmart or just browse internet and they have lots of stuff for travelers... u can even buy on e bay for good price...good luck...Pasha

Hi Mohan,
    Thanks for your response and advise. Hopefully taking one laptop should not be a big problem but you know better to know things then be sorry. Thanks
    Raju

Hi Pasha,
    Thank you for your response, advise and the web-site. I will look into it more. Yeah I have to buy a round pin plug for outlet in Bombay. Anyway once again thanks for your info.
    Raju