50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Emergency Travel

I received my green card in December 2005. I am an asylee, so INS says I have to have a travel document to return to the US. I applied for the travel document back in February, but the service center is still working on travel document applications from last December. What can I do if I can't wait any longer? My mother is very sick and I need to visit her.

I received my green card in December 2005. I am an asylee, so INS says I have to have a travel document to return to the US. I applied for the travel document back in February, but the service center is still working on travel document applications from last December. What can I do if I can't wait any longer? My mother is very sick and I need to visit her.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mschwennes:
    I received my green card in December 2005. I am an asylee, so INS says I have to have a travel document to return to the US. I applied for the travel document back in February, but the service center is still working on travel document applications from last December. What can I do if I can't wait any longer? My mother is very sick and I need to visit her. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need let immigration know that your mom is sick, may be your family can produce some doctor's note.

How do I let them know? By letter? I think that would take too long.

That's the only way to deal with them now. Call 1-800-375-5283, it will prompt you to ask immigr officer.

they have the discretion not to let you come back if your are going to the country you claimed to be persecuted from, even if you are a permanent resident.

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
    January 4, 2007 (revised)

Fact Sheet

Traveling Outside the United States as an Asylum Applicant, an Asylee, or a Lawful
    Permanent Resident Who Obtained Such Status Based on Asylum Status
    Asylum applicants, asylees, and lawful permanent residents who obtained such status based on their asylum
    status are subject to special rules with regard to traveling outside the United States. This U.S. Citizenship and
    Immigration Services (USCIS) Fact Sheet describes the relevant statutes and regulations regarding traveling
    outside the United States as well as the consequences that could result if an asylum applicant, an asylee, or a
    lawful permanent resident who obtained such status based on his or her asylum status returns to his or her
    country of claimed persecution.
    Travel Outside the United States
    " Asylum Applicants: An asylum applicant who leaves the United States without first obtaining
    advance parole shall be presumed to have abandoned his or her asylum application. Advance
    parole (see: USCIS Form I-131) allows certain aliens to return to the United States without a visa
    after traveling abroad. Asylum applicants must receive advance parole before leaving the United
    States. Advance parole does not guarantee that the alien will be paroled into the United States.
    Rather, the asylum applicant must still undergo inspection by an immigration inspector from
    United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
    " Asylees: Asylees (individuals who have been granted asylum) may travel abroad with the prior
    approval of the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Such prior approval
    comes in the form of a refugee travel document. A refugee travel document is valid for one year
    and is issued to an asylee to allow his or her return to the United States after temporary travel
    abroad. Generally, the asylee should obtain the refugee travel document prior to departure from
    the United States, though the applicable regulations also permit the issuance of a refugee travel
    document abroad under certain circumstances. Like advance parole, a refugee travel document
    does not guarantee admission into the United States. Rather, the asylee must still undergo
    inspection by an immigration inspector from CBP.
    " Lawful Permanent Residents: Lawful permanent residents who obtained such status based on
    their asylum status may also travel abroad with refugee travel documents.
    -more-
    Possible Consequences of Returning to the Country of Claimed Persecution
    Section 208.8(b) of Title 8 of the Code of Federal Regulations provides that an asylum applicant who leaves
    the United States pursuant to advance parole and returns to the country of claimed persecution shall be
    presumed to have abandoned his or her asylum application, unless the applicant is able to establish
    compelling reasons for the return. Therefore, if an asylum applicant returns to his or her country of claimed
    persecution pursuant to advance parole, he or she should be prepared to explain the reason for the return.
    Asylum status may be terminated for specific reasons as listed in INA 208(c)(2). An individual's
    underlying asylum status may be terminated even if the individual has already become a lawful permanent
    resident.
    Returning to one's country of claimed persecution may be relevant to a number of termination grounds. For
    instance, asylum status could be terminated based on a fundamental change in circumstances in the asylee's
    country of persecution. Termination could also occur due to fraud in the asylum application such that the
    asylee was not eligible for asylum. Return to the country of feared persecution can, in some circumstances,
    be considered evidence that the asylee's alleged fear of persecution is not genuine. In addition, termination of
    asylum status could occur if an "alien has voluntarily availed himself or herself of the protection of the alien's
    country of nationality . . . by returning to such country with permanent resident status or the reasonable
    possibility of obtaining such status with the same rights and obligations pertaining to other permanent
    residents of that country."
    Accordingly, an asylee or a lawful permanent resident who obtained such status based on a grant of asylum
    status may be questioned about why he or she was able to return to the country of claimed persecution and, in
    some circumstances, may be subject to proceedings to terminate asylum status.
    USCIS
    On March 1, 2003, U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services became one of three legacy INS components to join the U.S. Department of Homeland
    Security. USCIS is charged with fundamentally transforming and improving the delivery of immigration and citizenship services,
    while enhancing the integrity of our nation's security.

Download forms and book info pass, this may work

but I thought when you have green card in your hand you can travel freely?

i'm having the same problem here. Permanent resident through asylee. i need to travel to Canada but i don't believe my refugee travel document will be processed by my intended departure date. The travel document is required to board the plane (hate the new law). I plan to call USCIS and maybe visit a local office to ask for a written document of some sort. hope it works, just a little advice.