50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marriage to american citizen - best route to take?

I am a Canadian citizen, and my fiance is from the U.S. We are both currently visiting my mother in Canada. We hope to marry sometime next year, but are unsure what the best route to take is. I would like to be away from him for as little time as possible. I now wish when I had last visited him in the U.S., when we decided we would get married, that I had done it before thinking about leaving the country, because this seems so much more complicated now, and there doesn't seem to be a good way to stay with him throughout the procedure, unless he were to stay here with me. Then again, I don't understand much of the legal-speak I'm reading, which is why I'm inquiring here. Maybe someone can simplify things for me? I don't suppose there would be any way for us to delay getting married, since I'd had trouble crossing the border to visit him already. I also hope to get back to school as soon as possible. I know that you can get a work permit with the fiance visa (though I don't understand all the details), but what about school? Am I going to have to wait? I'm counting out any possibility of getting a student visa, since I don't think they'll approve me when I am planning to marry... Please help?

I am a Canadian citizen, and my fiance is from the U.S. We are both currently visiting my mother in Canada. We hope to marry sometime next year, but are unsure what the best route to take is. I would like to be away from him for as little time as possible. I now wish when I had last visited him in the U.S., when we decided we would get married, that I had done it before thinking about leaving the country, because this seems so much more complicated now, and there doesn't seem to be a good way to stay with him throughout the procedure, unless he were to stay here with me. Then again, I don't understand much of the legal-speak I'm reading, which is why I'm inquiring here. Maybe someone can simplify things for me? I don't suppose there would be any way for us to delay getting married, since I'd had trouble crossing the border to visit him already. I also hope to get back to school as soon as possible. I know that you can get a work permit with the fiance visa (though I don't understand all the details), but what about school? Am I going to have to wait? I'm counting out any possibility of getting a student visa, since I don't think they'll approve me when I am planning to marry... Please help?

The best way seems to be the fiance visa. It'll take a few months and you'll be here. Then you'll get married and file to have your status adsjuted to permanent resident. You'll have your work permit shortly after that and everything else will follow.

When you enter the US you'll have 90 days to get married.

This will help you understand the fiance visa better:

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiance.htm

Hope that helps. I think this is the best solution for you in my opinion. If you come to the US as a visitor planning on getting married, and they find out, you'll be in a lot of trouble. Safest way is the best way. A little patience now will be rewarded

That what I've been gathering is the best thing to do, too. When I apply for a fiance visa, how long does that mean I have to stay in Canada before I can move to the U.S.? And how long before I can work or go to school once I'm there?

it takes roughly 4-6 months for the fiance visa to completion, and as long as you file the work visa at the same time as you file for your I-129f, they should both be completed by the time you enter the states

I got married in January while my wife now was visiting, I am a US citizen and my wife has a valid tourist visa, she went back after we got married before her time was up. I live in Connecticut and would like to know average time for my wife to get green card and want to know if she could use her tourist visa to come and visit me with out hurting the case. we got the " receipt notice from immigration on march 6...thank you

They probably wont let her in though because she does have intent to immigrate.
    When you file an adjustment of status outside the US, you can apply for a k3 visa which will let you in the country while your case is pending.

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/howdoi/spouselive.htm

Hope that helps

What is the difference between the k-1 and k-3 visas (besides the fact that you have to be already married)? Would there be any benefit to get married here and come in that way?

K1 is for fiance, K3 is for spouses that want to join their spouses in the US. That's pretty much the difference right there.

The problem you have is that if you enter the US
    it's probably going to be so you can get married there, right? Well that's a no no where the INS is concerned. You are not allowed to enter the US knowing you are going to stay. If you do that and they find out, you're in a LOT of hot water.

The decision is yours as to which way you want to go but I would go with the fiance visa personally. It's not a question of what's more convenient, it's a question of going by the book. You don't want to mess with the INS, that's for sure.

I meant if I get married before I enter the United States, would the k-3 allow me to enter any sooner. Or would that process still take a long time?

I would go down to the States to visit, come back after a month, and return in the summer to get married, but I don't think I want to chance trying to enter the country without a visa again, because of the trouble I had last time. I needed every document I had, and it still took me three tries to cross, because they didn't believe I intended to return. And I doubt I'd be able to get any other sort of visa because of my relationship.